Dart Thrower?

Well that’s apparently what I am.
Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? I know my biggest problem is my shoulders opening to early and my arm action at the begining.

I would say you should try to keep your throwing elbow in line with your throwing shoulder as you rotate until the arm snaps out to release from full external rotation.

[quote=“SnakeManiac72”]Well that’s apparently what I am.
Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? I know my biggest problem is my shoulders opening to early and my arm action at the begining.[/quote]

All of my guys who have a tendency to throw darts pick their arms up out of their gloves and bring their PAS hand past their chest and their ears rather than swinging the hand down, out, and up (aka they short-arm the ball).

When my son is doing this, I remind him to break his hands down by his belt buckle rather than up at the numbers. That reduces the temptation to short-arm the ball and lengthens out his arm swing.

A longer arm swing normally takes more time so it’s important to check that the lower body mechanics provide the timing necessary to accomodate the longer arm swing. Otherwise, the longer arm swing probably won’t happen. (Chris, I imagine you already have your son striding sideways so this probably isn’t an issue.)

A longer arm swing normally takes more time so it’s important to check that the lower body mechanics provide the timing necessary to accomodate the longer arm swing. Otherwise, the longer arm swing probably won’t happen. (Chris, I imagine you already have your son striding sideways so this probably isn’t an issue.)[/quote]

I agree that you have to be careful to make sure you don’t mess up a pitcher’s timing (since a longer arm swing can take more time to execute than can short-arming the ball).

Otherwise you could could end up turning a dart-thrower into someone with a problem with rushing (e.g. the arm isn’t up and in the high cocked position at the moment the glove-side foot plants and the shoulders start to turn).

My son hasn’t run into a problem with this because he tends to break his hands sooner when he breaks his hands lower. This gives his arm a little more time to get up and into the high cocked position.

I think that could be the problem. When my hand leaves the glove it is about chest level.