Dangle is the key to velocity?

explain please?

You first.

I take you got this from my signature. I’ll try to explain this. Dangle is one of ASMI’s 42 keys to throwing injury free. Dangle is when you put the ball at your side and just let it dangle there with a loose arm. This allows you not to “muscle up on the ball” and throw with you body and not all arm like many major leaguers do. It allows you to also let your arm go along for the ride. In my work with “dangle” I found I throw harder with better movement and control and I’m not exhausted after I’m done. I still feel like I can still go another 50 pitches (but i don’t) after i’ve already gone 100 pitches.

Lincecum is very good at dangle here is some pics

Dangle is just another word for a loose, tension free arm. Less tension equals more whip. More whip means more potential velocity.

Thats why Lincecum and guys like Kazmir “launch” instead of throwing the ball. the ball has the illusion of jumping out of there hand.

Hey KAZ is there a site for this ASMI stuff?

[quote=“xv84”]Dangle is just another word for a loose, tension free arm. Less tension equals more whip. More whip means more potential velocity.[/quote]Can I add to that, xv, that it is a timing issue also. It facilitates very late arm action, driven by body movement.

Not necessarily. There are a bunch of “short armers” in the bigs that toss the ball up there in the mid 90’s. These guys are almost all relievers. Maybe the dangle is a better way to maintain velo into later innings?

Hose

Yeah but there more likely to get injuries. Yes they throw mid 90’s but there doing it with only there arm. If there arm dangled and the threw using there body they would be in the high 90’s

I “dangle” my arm and I asked about it a while ago, I’m not sure if the dangle gives more velocity or if it just creates better timing

Maybe, but again not necessarily. My personal opinion (no one asked, but that’s just me being me :lol: ) is that each person has a “best way” to throw a baseball. Some have better success slinging it, some by popping it from behind the ear.

All pitching is about velocity and control, and finding the optimum combination of the two. We may as well be talking about arm slot. Some guys can throw very hard from over the top, but can’t get the juice on it from the side. Others may have control issues. Its the same with every nuance of the mechanics of pitching.

“One man’s wine is another man’s vinegar”

Hose

Judging by the sweat that’s covering Clemens in the picture above, I’d reckon that it’s late in the ball game. He is nearly choking the ball. What dangle?

Tension-free, heh?

Oswalt isn’t necessarily clutching the ball in the pic above, but his arm isn’t “put at [his] side.”

Why are you using Lincecum and Kazmir as your examples?

[quote=“Hutch”]

Why are you using Lincecum and Kazmir as your examples?[/quote]

Because he likes them and they are examples of what he is talking about. There are as many ways to grip and throw as there are people who grip and throw. I was just watching a couple vids on youtube on “How to throw a curveball”. I watched three different clips and saw three different grips and three different methods of delivering the ball.

Hose

[quote=“Hutch”]

Judging by the sweat that’s covering Clemens in the picture above, I’d reckon that it’s late in the ball game. He is nearly choking the ball. What dangle?

Tension-free, heh?

Oswalt isn’t necessarily clutching the ball in the pic above, but his arm isn’t “put at [his] side.”

Why are you using Lincecum and Kazmir as your examples?[/quote]

ya and all those pictures are during the acceleration phase of the delivery. nolan ryan doesnt start his delivery with the ball and arm like that does he? anyway you can dangle or you can hold it firm its all a matter of preference. personaly i try to dangle but have went firm a couple times. not to much difference in velocity. like they say only 8% is your arm velocity come from body

Nope, Ryan didn’t dangle. He brought his arm around in an abbreviated circle. His elbow remained bent throughout his delivery until just before release.

Hose

No offense to you but how old are you 15? These guys are pros. Which means they have the best pitching coaches. They also have the best training and help you could possibly get. Do you really think any of these guys could gain more velocity becuase of a little dangle and more body? Maybe your right they could but how would if affect their control? How many guys have dominant stuff that doing throw in the high 90s? How many guys can get shelled even throwing in the high 90s? I know he’s doing good now but Kyle Farnsworth has had a lot of trouble with batters. He throws high 90s. I just think once you break the low 90s a lot more comes into play than just velocity. I think this is where movement control and pitch selection come into play the most. What major leaguer can’t hit a high 90s fastball?

Your starting to sound like someone who not a lot of people liked who used to talk about how professional pitchers could do stuff to get better, like he knew what he was talking about.

Your not like that though I think you just got a little carried away.

Also, whos to say that you dangle when you first break your hands then tense up when you start to throw the ball? Who’s to say you can’t tense at hand break and lossen up as you throw?

Dangle isn’t necesarrily mean hanging the arm down there as being loose. I don’t dangle my arm like lincecum because it feels unnatural but my arm is whiplike because i keep it loose.

Hard to have a conversation on the color of an apple when you’re talking about oranges.

Hose

That’s what I’m trying to say…if this “dangle” is so important at the beginning, why does it not matter in the high-cocked position. Whatever happens to get to that point in the delivery is not important (ie “dangle”).

God, I keep thinking Reno 911.