DAngers of Chewing Tobacco

I have recently learned of some terrible news about a guy who played High school baseball with me and I felt that the youngins on the site should hear it.

The player I am referring to is now a senior in high school and I played one season with him before graduating. He began chewing chewing tobacco in 9th grade bcuz he saw some of the older guys on the varsity team doing it and has been doing it ever since. But recently he got some very bad news; He has been diagnosed with Cancer of the mouth at the age of 17, he has the cancer in 2 places in his mouth and now must leave school and give up baseball for who knows how long. And not only that, he is losing a baseball scholarship to a D2 school. The doctors told him that after going through all of the treatments, he will most likely never return to baseball, and if he does, he will never reach the level he is currently playing to.

Well, i just thought that this might give you a bit of perspective in case you ever think chewing, dipping, or smoking.

I’ll put it simply, in four words: BE SMART. DON’T START. 8)

It is so pathetic to see how dependent some of my teammates are of the stuff.

it runs rampid at my school.

it’s pathetic, you have kids acting as though there are no dangers to it, they act like it’s a right of passage.

not so funny story, alot of the guys in our school carry around gym bags for when they have fitness and one of the tricks is to put a dip in class, and spit into a water bottle in the pocket of the bag, it smells like my grandpa’s tobacco cellar in my first three classes. it’s gotten pathetic.

[quote=“ltownindians07”]it runs rampid at my school.

it’s pathetic, you have kids acting as though there are no dangers to it, they act like it’s a right of passage.

not so funny story, alot of the guys in our school carry around gym bags for when they have fitness and one of the tricks is to put a dip in class, and spit into a water bottle in the pocket of the bag, it smells like my grandpa’s tobacco cellar in my first three classes. it’s gotten pathetic.[/quote]

Good message, but…

You totally stole AND overused my word.

“pathetic”

I’d like to avert all credit given to me to fellow poster kjeezey, without him I don’t know where I’d be or where my post would have ever came from.

hope that solves the patent infringement.

[quote=“ltownindians07”]I’d like to avert all credit given to me to fellow poster kjeezey, without him I don’t know where I’d be or where my post would have ever came from.

hope that solves the patent infringement.[/quote]

Oh sir… you’re too kind, just too kind!

:wink:

Well I have a feeling that I’m going to be the only one here who will admit to do it, but I hardly doubt I’m the only person on this entire site that does. Rather, just the only one to post about it.

I don’t do it very often, out of baseball season I’ll buy one, maybe two tins a month, never have any urge to do it more than that. In season, since I have teammates who dip, I usually don’t buy any, and probably throw a dip in maybe 3 times a week at practice. I’m not advocating it, it certainly isn’t good for you, though I would argue that when we see people with mouth cancer and such, those are the ones that dip a tin a day or more, not someone who does it much more moderately like me.

Granted, I know that most people aren’t able to control themselves like I can either. When I first started, I went through about four tins in a week, went on vacation for 10 days and didn’t think about tobacco one second. I’m lucky not to have an addictive personality.

I’m sorry about your friend WC12, btw, thats very unfortunate.