Dad with zero help

Hi all, let me start off by saying I am from a small to mid size town in Canada (about 50,000 people). Baseball is not very big here at all. My son plays in a league that consists of only 4 teams and has a short 3 month season. That being my son loves ball and loves to pitch. He does pretty well for around here. All of our teams are made up of mostly volunteer parents coaching. I have been helping out as well. I mostly work with the pitcher, mainly because there is no one else. I played a fair bit of ball when I was a kid, mostly recreational, but I never pitched. I have been searching the web and looking into mechanics but need some help. I would really like to help these guys out and would like to continue to work with my guy in the off season.

Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Seems to me like no matter where you are living, it has never been easier to get access to resources. The landmine is information overload.

Pitching gurus are all over the place, contradicting each other. You have to pick something up from each of them and not sell out to any one. Leave room for your kid to have his own style. Don’t try to make a clone of him.

I look back to my childhood and honestly, we didn’t have so called experts in mechanics tweaking us as we developed. Each kid had a unique way of throwing the ball. We were all about enjoying the game; it really wasn’t work nor did it seem like a drudgery.

Biggest challenge is to make sure the kid is enjoying the sport so that he can be a lifetime fan.

Nothing wrong with hooking the kid up with some good instruction. In a town of 50,000 there has got to be guys with more knowledge and the ability to transfer that knowledge to your son. The best way to find them is to work to make your league bigger, better and stronger. In that way, you will find others likeminded who share your passion for the game.

Set some goals and grow your program. The people that were most involved in the leagues I worked in, not coincidentally had the kids who participated in the sport the longest.

WHATEVER YOU DO, ENJOY IT NOW. BLINK AND IT WILL BE GONE.

You say you live in a small-to-medium town in Canada. Why not contact the Toronto Blue Jays for information and suggestions? They’re sure to know about some good pitching coaches you can get in touch with; maybe even some one of the guys on their pitching staff. One important point is, look for a pitching coach who specializes in pitching and is not just a journeyman all-around player, and look for one who knows how to work with youngsters to help them make the most of what they have and can do. I wish you and your kid the best of luck and lots of strikeouts. :baseballpitcher:

Of course, this site is a great resource.

But here’s another good resource:
http://www.nationalpitching.com/

Thanks for your words guys. I will keep this in mind. I suppose in this day and age one does not have to be in the same location as the coach to get their assistance. We are in Nova Scotia, approx 1000 miles from Toronto, and unfortunately hold pretty true to the Canadian stereotype. Hockey is #1 in this town,

One of the great friends of this site is a Nova Scotian, look up DM59… He hangs out from time to time, smart guy, loves the game.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to get in contact with him and see if there is any information he can give me.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]One of the great friends of this site is a Nova Scotian, look up DM59…[/quote]It’s an awesome site. So well managed.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]He hangs out from time to time[/quote]True. I do “lurk”. Some habits are hard to break.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]smart guy, loves the game.[/quote]Yeah, I agree with the love the game part but “smart guy”??? You’re way too kind, jd. :lol:

Yep, a smart and lovable lurker. Oh, and humble too! :jesterbox:

I miss hanging out on the boards with you guys. You’re good for my ego! :smiley:

My name is Dave Palmer, I’m a former Montreal Expo. I have been working with youth for over 20 years. The last 10 as a High School coach.

I didn’t notice your sons age. With the younger guys I have them just pitch out of the stretch. That way they are already squared up to the target and all they have to do is pretty much pick up their front leg, load up and play catch with the catcher. Yes it is more technical than that. My philosophy is to stay up (on the back leg) stay back, stay on line and throw down hill. Make it as simple as possible. Thank you for spending your time with the kids. I hope this helps.