Dad here. I really messed up

My 12 yo, 13 in a couple months really found his groove late last year. Everything came together and he was throwing accurately and with good velocity for his age. My wife and I had some issues with an older (75) rec league coach who didn’t buy into pitch counts and felt that letting him go over 80 was good for him and would increase pitching stamina. It made for an awkward relationship as we tried to respect him as the Head Coach but also look out for our son. I had to essentially demand that he take him out on 2 occasions, politely of course. The season ended and we were playing occasional tournaments with a travel team. Well, on one of these he pitched 30 on day 1 and then went 96 on day two. I got caught up in the close game and he had 14 strikeouts and I just made the irresponsible decision to let him go. Well, he said his elbow was sore afterwards. We didn’t throw at all for two weeks and then he had a scrimmage and said his elbow still hurt. We took him up to see a pediatric sports injury doc who xrayed both arms to compare and found nothing wrong as far as tear, fractures, etc…His diagnosis was a strain of the ligament that attaches to the elbow, the ligament that is responsible for Tommy John in more serious injuries.

I feel so awful. Now he is on the shelf for at least 6 weeks and then has a slow process back to pitching. Im just praying this won’t be something that follows him and increases his risk for further injury down the road.

Sorry, more of a confession than conversation.

Try Power-Pronation: When I Pronate - I Don't Pronate - I Power-Pronate

BTW: Grooves have a tendency to wear a groove. In other words, it is good to go in and out of grooves as you may find several gears - not grooves - to work with. Grooves can lead to and become on-going repetitive strain injuries. So don’t feel so bad. Just a physics professor talking who knows about the Physics of Sports.

He stretches the Tendons that over lay the UCL ligament.
Ligaments do not have pain receptors so when it is stretched, it will not bark!
Make sure he only throws or learns Forearm pronated pitch types.
You will see his ball side Elbow pop up and the thumb drive down.
All pitch types can be thrown by Forearm pronation and the best way to do it is by having the Humerus drive vertically and not off to the side where Forearm supination is intuitively caused. This conversation will help him throw and train healthy meaning he can train better.

As someone who has experienced lots of tendon and ligament strains, I find that using a TENS electro-stim device on the affected area 2-3 times per day is helpful with recovery. There are tons of them on Amazon and at pharmacies. (Just don’t set the stim level too high.)

Your son is young. I bet he’ll recover relatively quickly.