Cutterb

im 14 about to be 15 and ive wondering if a cutter is bad for your arm? the way i throw it is hold put both index and middle finger on the right side of the 2 seam grip and just throw it like a fast ball

If you avoid the “doorknob” wrist action you should be fine.

let me explain something to all of u people who think twisting your wrist is part of throwing a cutter…twisting the wrist eliminates the effect of having speed on it. the point of a cutter is to look something like a 2 seam fast ball and move suddenly as it reaches homeplate. about a foot from homeplate. if you twist your wrist it slows it down and it becomes a crappy slider. move your middle and index finers to the right side of the ball and throw it EXACTLY like a fastball. you will see amazing results if you do it right.

Do you have a picture of this grip at all?

I don’t think you should twist your wrist at all. I didn’t say so either. What I didn’t post because I thought it was common knowledge at this point is that a cutter with wrist movement becomes a power slider of sorts. So stop trying to act like you’re a god and relax. We’re all here to learn.

I agree completely.

You want to throw it exactly like your fastball, but grip it slightly off-center. What matters is the position of your middle finger, since it is usually the longest one and will be the last one to touch the ball. You want your middle finger to be slightly off center.

This will cause the ball to rotate primarily on a horizontal axis but with a little bit of side spin, which will cause it to cut.

I don’t think you should twist your wrist at all. I didn’t say so either. What I didn’t post because I thought it was common knowledge at this point is that a cutter with wrist movement becomes a power slider of sorts. So stop trying to act like you’re a god and relax. We’re all here to learn.[/quote]

i wasnt talking to you. i was talking to everybody who believes that. too many times do i hear people talking about twisting the wrist. (even slightly) all it does is slow down ur pitch and make it hittable. believe me im no god :smiley:

A cutter is an effective pitch. Someone mentioned the proper grip and also if you can put pressure on the index finger. It works very well for my 13 yr old and it moves. Good pitch to master here is Mo Rivera in a video clip showing how to throw it!

Click on Kids on Deck on the lower right. Should say Mariano Rivera throwing a cutter!

:smiley:

I’ve seen clips of Rivera throwing it with a bit of a twist in the wrist. He seems to rotate the wrist less than 90 degrees while most curves and sliders have more wrist rotation than that.

to me that doesnt make sense and heres why. throwing a 2 seam fast ball is like throwing a reverse cutter to me anyway (except it tends to sink a little)…you dont need to twist your wrist at all because the grip makes the ball move at the last second. same for a cutter. twisting your wrist would make it break earlier wouldnt it?? im not sure tho. i dont see how you twist your wrist and throw a pitch at 95 and not lose significant velocity even if you barely twist your wrist. just my thoughts…anyone agree or disagree? (btw im talking about Rivera)