Cutter question

I was curious about whether it is possible to develop a pitch that is thrown with the grip and intention of a cutter, but gives you a slider type break?

EK22,

I was curious about whether it is possible to develop a pitch that is thrown with the grip and intention of a cutter, but gives you a slider type break?

Yes, a cutter is any release that produces slight forwards axis presentation of the top “circle of friction” that causes small lateral movement towards the glove side of home plate. If you put more forwards “Axis presentation” you get a Slider that moves laterally more but in actuality is the same pitch orientation.

Don’t get all caught up in grip or you will not understand what makes the ball move laterally.

All pitch types can be thrown with any middle finger pressured grip, Seam orientation effects the ball some but little. One batter likes it faster (lateral movement), another slower making pitch efficiency an incorrect word.

When throwing a Cutter or Slider remember the traditionally taught forearm supinated versions are very destructive to your Elbow at many levels and time lines.

The Forearm pronated versions are more powerfully projected and safe on your Elbow because they do not allow ballistic end of range of motion bone crash!

It sounds like you want more movement on your cutter.

Three tips that can be helpful:

1. Grip the outer half of the ball (pinky side)–don’t hold it in the middle like a 4-seam fastball.

2. Grip it more tightly than your fastball.

3. Yank down with your middle and index fingers as you release.

Good luck!

This is excellent advise, especially this:
When throwing a Cutter or Slider remember the traditionally taught forearm supinated versions are very destructive to your Elbow at many levels and time lines.

The Forearm pronated versions are more powerfully projected and safe on your Elbow because they do not allow ballistic end of range of motion bone crash!

Probation won’t get you cutter-away movement of course but thinking more of that movement involves more torque on the elbow (slider) and I would stay away from teaching that until late high school. The damage to the ulner nerve and growth plates is to dangerous.