Cutter grip

Not even close.

I agree with you. Cutters and sinkers are great pitches to teach younger players, but you have to teach them properly.

I’m in total agreement with you.

The cutter is the most underrated pitch in the game next to the change up. The CH has been getting a lot more respect lately as it should. I love that pitch. It’s the most effective pitch in the game and more and more pitchers are making a living off of it.

The cutter is just as important though. It keeps hitters off balance in the opposite way a CH would. Most pitchers have natural run on their FB. (The ball moves arm side). The cutter does the opposite. It keeps the hitter even more off balance when you can throw it. In my opinion a good cutter and change up is better than a good breaking pitch and a change up. If it’s a plus pitch, even better.

a correctly thrown slider sshouldn’t effect your arm
we should have a poll
slider or cutter
sacrifice break for speed
sacrifice speed for break

Why should we have a poll? No single pitch is better than another. Location, pitchers velocity, and other pitches have a lot to do with cutter vs. slider. Mariano Rivera is making a hall of fame career off of 1 pitch, just the cutter. Randy Johnson is going to be a hall of famer using a great slider.

u are right
i just wanted too see which do pitchers prefer

I recently saw a piece with Roger Clemens throwing his slider in ultra-slo-mo

, and it looked a lot like the slo mo pics of various Japanese pitchers throwing the “gyro ball”. He didn’t supinate at all, but set his wrist angle slightly and then threw “through” the ball, causing it to roll off of his index finger as he PRONATED his forearm.

This pitch doesn’t look anymore hard on the arm than a fastball, and certainly less than a curve. In fact, it looked more like a “hyper-cutter” than the Randy Johnson-ish slider. Johnson whips his long arm around the ball and indeed supinates. Any comments?

Hose

[quote=“hoseman18”]I recently saw a piece with Roger Clemens throwing his slider in ultra-slo-mo

, and it looked a lot like the slo mo pics of various Japanese pitchers throwing the “gyro ball”. He didn’t supinate at all, but set his wrist angle slightly and then threw “through” the ball, causing it to roll off of his index finger as he PRONATED his forearm.

This pitch doesn’t look anymore hard on the arm than a fastball, and certainly less than a curve. In fact, it looked more like a “hyper-cutter” than the Randy Johnson-ish slider. Johnson whips his long arm around the ball and indeed supinates. Any comments?

Hose[/quote]

Clemens is throwing a “true” slider and it’s close to being a cutter.

Johnson throws more of a “slurve” where his fingers are more in the side (or under) of the ball as opposed to being “behind” the ball like Clemens.

The danger with throwing it Johnson’s style is the supination can cause your forearm bones to slam against each other if you fully extend your elbow. It can also lead to hyperextension because your elbow is in a “weak” position due to the supination.

i know his grip
i had the old roger clemens pitching baseball
take the regular fastball grip and rotate it clockwise(side to side)
then you should get to a “mini” fastball grip
cut the ball in half with the middle finger and the thumb
throw it with the preset supination and pronate at release
works the best for me

can someone give a pic grip for the cutter, my computer cant see it on the pitching articles

A good view of Rivera’s cutter.

Here it is without the “trail”.

That shows just how amazing that pitch is he throws. 1 pitch making a hall of fame career.

Can we see a slowmo of the punchout please???

Just kidding.

ha i want to see that ump in slow-mo too :stuck_out_tongue: just kidding

but seriously, the cutter is a very good out pitch as you get older and kids get more picky and have more distiguished weaknesses. That sacrifice of break for speed doesnt matter if you know how to throw it and are placing it well. A well placed cutter v.s a randomly thrown slider…the cutter would win.

Now im not hating on the slider at all but the slider is very hurtful to the arm if not thrown properly and kids shouldnt experiment with sliders when they arent coached to throw it properly.

Would throwing a slider like Clemens be rather easy on the arm because your pronating your arm?

yeah

Rivera showing Halladay how he grips his cutter. Notice that it’s simply an offset four-seam grip with the fingers next to each other.

And then is the ball thrown with the preset supination as in the slider or do you just drive down throw your grip and that sidespin creates the break.

middle finger pressure
released off the index finger

How does that make any sense?

It doesn’t really. What he means (I think) is that you throw it normally but since your grip is off-center the majority of the pressure comes of the index finger rather than the middle finger. Basically you throw the inner 1/3 of the ball and the sidespin creates the late sharp movement.

well i throw my cutter with a two seam grip
my middle finger is on the right seam and my index is in between the seams
i put pressure with my middle finger but the index is the last to touch the ball

since i use the two seam grip the ball is less off center
so i use middle finger pressure to get sidespin