Cutter grip

HI. Can somebody tell me how to throw a quality cutter with good speed and movement. Help. I am 14 and i need another pitch
Fastball. Low seventies.
sometimes i throw a curveball, but that is it.

throw a two seam fastball if you want to see movement on your fastball.

if you wanna throw a cutter then you might as well throw a slider
more movement and little velocity loss
a cutter has little movement and is easy to hit if its not fast

[quote=“kelvinp”]if you wanna throw a cutter then you might as well throw a slider
a cutter has little movement and is easy to hit if its not fast[/quote]

Being 14 a slider could destroy your arm. And I beg to differ. I am not giong to contradict you kelvin this has nothing to do with the other topic. Heres a post I’ve been wanting to make. Regarding the cutter.

It is a mental pitch more than a physical pitch. If you don’t believe me then how come a major league batter, the best of the best, can’t hit Marino Rivera? He’s let up like 2 runs all year. These are the best hitters in the world that can’t hit him. They even know that its coming every single pitch.

This is what the cutter does. You throw it RHP to a RHB inside. First pitch if you can locate a cutter they won’t swing unless they’re a crazy first pitch hitter. They’ll think its a ball next thing you know its a strike. I throw my cutter almost more than my fastball. The hitter gets a bit confused. Then I throw it outside or even inside again. This can really fool with a hitter. Use the mental aspect. Ever realize how hard it is to adjust to a very bad umpire? One past Major League player said that if the umpire didn’t call it in his zone he didn’t care he only swung when it was in his zone. Becuase it is incredibly tough to change habbit. So this pitch can be used as a mental pitch. This year I pitched an inning and the next inning both coaches were on the grass by the infield looking at me and watching me. Because their hitters were baffeled. Now unless you throw a 94 MPH cutter like Mo, this won’t be your KO pitch. Most likely. Your going to need a nice hammer or change-up.

But kelvin is correct. The cutter is a tough pitch to use if you don’t throw very hard. Heat is nice but you don’t have to have have the heat for it. You can throw this with a good 2-seam or sinker. It compliments very well.

If you face good hitters its a good pitch to use because he will be picky. If you can locate this first pitch. You will be ahead every single count. Once they see that your fasbtall moves, a great atbat is inside for a called strike. Just catching the plate. Then get it even more inside and get him swinging at a bad pitch or something. If you can get 2 strikes, go with your KO pitch.

Good Luck.

[quote=“kelvinp”]if you wanna throw a cutter then you might as well throw a slider

Define “fast”. How fast would you say it needs to be?

There is a pitcher named Justin Duchscherer
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6767
with fastball that tops out at 86 and his cutter in the low 80’s. He’s having a pretty good season so far.

Whats he play xv? College or pro?

pro ball for the Oakland A’s i believe (not a Oakland fan, GO RAYS)

[quote]Define “fast”. How fast would you say it needs to be?
[/quote]

7 mph off your fastball
it must be fast enough so the hitter will think fastball but get slider

rivera hits mid to upper 90’s and hi cutter is around 93-92
(just saw him get a save today GO YANKEES)

i believe a cutter is unecessary because of the amount of break
you have to throw it away because even if the hitter swings off the ball he can still get good contact
my point of view

Late movement is a good thing, the cutter is not necessarily a mini slider, over balance the ball just like a sinker and get lots-o-ground balls. My son throws it all the time and the point is that if a batter doesn’t get a sweet spot bat strike you have an excellent chance at getting him out. You better believe when you are talkin big time compo that just that little jink can make the difference between a weakly hit ball and getting rocked…of course if you can’t locate…you might not like the pitch.

i dont think it s easy to locate a cutter inside on strike zone
you can start a slider at the batter and bring it across the inside corner
you have to keep the cutter down
i believe you have more options with the slider
you sacrafice alot of velocity and you get alot of break

[quote]dont think it s easy to locate a cutter inside on strike zone
you sacrafice alot of velocity and you get alot of break[/quote]

The slider and cutter are fb variants…I’m here to tell you friend it is a very highly effective pitch, when thrown by someone who knows what hes doing…a great out pitch…you may not like it…I’ve seen it turn good pitchers into great ones. Of course if you are just laying it in there…you can get a crick in your neck watchin it fly out…but varsity and beyond it’s a sure enough difference maker.

you obviously have no clue about either pitch. a slider requires alot of suppination, which when your 14 will severely damage your elbow. a cutter throw correctly has no suppination, its just an off center grip.
kelvin, this site is to help people, and you telling this person to throw a slider is definately not helping him. its hurting him. dont tell people to do things that will ruin their pitching career.

[quote=“kelvinp”]i dont think it s easy to locate a cutter inside on strike zone
you sacrafice alot of velocity and you get alot of break[/quote]

You are right and that is why the slider is more popular than the cutter, but the slider can take some practice to master. Because if you hang it unless you have some major gas it will get hit. A cutter that is 3 or 4 MPH slower may not get hit as easily as a hung slider.

Like JD said its probably more of an advanced high level pitch. Its even better in the majors because theres such a little sweet spot, for those hitters it can take a linedrive single into either a crappy bloop hit or more likely an out. But it can work at the high school level. Like I said before its a good pitch for those good picky hitters, which backs JD for better high school and beyond. Another plus is it isn’t much worse than a fastball if at all for your arm.

The place I go during the winter said that when we leave a pitch 2 inches outside the plate we screwed up but the one instructor said that those major league players that do that know it wasn’t a strike. Now of course this isn’t 100% true but his point was they know balls from strikes. And when you take a pitcher like Mariano that breaks those few inches that they usually know, into unknown territory, it really messes them up.

when i throw my cutter it turns into a slider
thats with the two seam grip with my index moved over
when it throw it with the fastball grip like rivera i get downward break
:?: help :?:

Are you referring to the Article from this website that shows the cutter grips?

I made the bottom set of pictures with the 2 grips. I like the 4-seam grip which gets more downward movement, and for me its sharp side movement. The 2-seam can turn more into a slider easier and it does move more like a slider.

[quote]Are you referring to the Article from this website that shows the cutter grips?
[/quote]

it thought of the two seam grip by my self cause the four seam didn’t work

where is this article
i want to read it

[quote=“kelvinp”]when i throw my cutter it turns into a slider
thats with the two seam grip with my index moved over
when it throw it with the fastball grip like rivera i get downward break
:?: help :?:[/quote]
if its turning into a slider, you are obviously throwing it wrong. cutter doesnt move at all like a slider. cutter moves late and sharp, but only a few inches. a slider will move a foot or more but doesnt move anywhere near as late as a real cutter does.

i think the cutter is a great pitch for younger players because it has some movement and it doesnt hurt your arm

[quote=“kelvinp”]
it thought of the two seam grip by my self cause the four seam didn’t work

where is this article
i want to read it[/quote]

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/how_to_throw_cutter.htm

[quote=“yanksneeddice-K”]
if its turning into a slider, you are obviously throwing it wrong. cutter doesnt move at all like a slider. cutter moves late and sharp, but only a few inches. a slider will move a foot or more but doesnt move anywhere near as late as a real cutter does.[/quote]

Turning a cutter into a late tight slider isn’t the worst idea. And it isn’t a horrible pitch. I’d say it is killer for your arm. Occasionally I’ll throw my cutter a little too hard and accidently turn my wrist over. It’s not a good feeling. You can really feel it. I’d disagree, a cutter is like a slider. Before they really got the name cutter, I know a lot of commentators for the Yankees would say its a slider called by some and some call it a cutter. It is a close pitch.

I’d disagree with this too. Yeah its nice becuase of movement but it’s also hard to tell at a young age if it is being thrown properly. It seems the youngsters don’t throw hard enough to feel the pain of “turning over” a cutter. Also, with youngsters you don’t see the real picky hitters. Theres just a lack of experience and thats what makes it tough. I’m sure most younger hitters wouldn’t even notice its being thrown. And it will be slower becuase its not the same fasbtall speed. I just think its too risky for a young kid to throw. Its easy to develop bad habbits with it, and it’s hard to explain to youner kids the dangers of a slider like pitch.

Bower

oh yea ive felt that pain when accidentaly turning something over. quite possibly some of the worst you could feel out on the diamond.