Curveballs

Alright quick poll. i’ve heard people say it is bad to throw a curveball. and then people say it is ok. I want to no wat everybody thinks. i have three good pitches(fastball,curve,and circle-change). If i stop throwing my curve i will go down to two pitches. i’m a good pitcher but i’m not good enough to throw only two pitches.

Depends on the age in my mind. If your 17 or 18 i would say its fine to throw a curve. If you happen to be something like 11 or 12 then definitely get rid of the curve and work on the changeup. Besides if you have any aspirations of playing at the next level most good hitters will tell you a good changeup is better than a curve.

[quote=“Cmb41599”]Alright quick poll. i’ve heard people say it is bad to throw a curveball. and then people say it is ok. I want to no wat everybody thinks. i have three good pitches(fastball,curve,and circle-change). If i stop throwing my curve i will go down to two pitches. i’m a good pitcher but i’m not good enough to throw only two pitches.[/quote]depends on your age??

[quote=“Cmb41599”]14[/quote]drop it, start it when your 16

I have to agree with Tanner i would lay of the curve for at least a year. Keep workin on your movement with your fastball and your control that will help you more in the long run. Dont forget it will protect your arm. :smiley:

people say size should depend on wat u throw im almost 6 foot and weigh around 220 and dont use my arm that much and use my legs does that make a differnce

[quote=“Cmb41599”]people say size should depend on wat u throw im almost 6 foot and weigh around 220 and dont use my arm that much and use my legs does that make a differnce[/quote]ABSOLUTLEY NOT!!!your muscles in your arm are still not developed, i was 12 and i was 6 foot 190 lbs, and i didnt throw a curve til i was 16

I think it really depends on how developed you are, but I’d suggest laying off it, or not throwing it as much. You should really work on mastering your fastball and change, that would be enough to get by at your age. Wait a year or two to really start working on the curve.

The problem isn’t with the muscles of your arms, but with the bones of your arms (specifically your growth plates).

There’s nothing you can do to change when your growth plates close. All you can do is wait until you’re 16 or 17.

I agree with Chris that the problem is related to the bones and connective tissues - not the muscles. One myth is that kids with stronger arms can throw more pitches and start throwing curves at an earlier age when, in fact, these kids are probably more susceptible to injuring themselves since they can put more stress on their bones/tendons/ligaments than can kids with weaker arms.

I completely agree.

I agree with most of you but the reality is that many kids throw curveballs at 10/11.

I do not condone throwing a curveball but if you can throw one without any " doorknob action" and it doesn’t cause injury then throw it with supervision. Most kids throw the curveball because it is a “gimmick pitch” and it gets people out. While daddy is in the stands smiling and smirking , " my kid got 12 strikeouts" while icing his elbow down! I see it all the time in local little leagues.

The other issue is the pressure to win. I watched many games here locally in So Cal and I have seen more abuse than I can fathom. The parents and daddy ball coaches get caught in the moment and let kids pitch 115/120 pitches with 60 percent being curveballs. When they advance in tournaments they usually go with more curveballs to advance since they are facing better hitters.

The pressures of being 12 and trying to get to be on ESPN.

The problem with this is that not all coaches know how to teach it correctly. And even those that know the correct way to teach it can’t necessarily verify that the kids are throwing it the right way. All of the important things that the arm does when pitching a baseball happen so quickly that it’s hard for the naked eye to see.