Curveball

Im going to be in the 10th grade in high school, and i pitch and play shortstop at the varsity and i was wondering how to slow down my curve ball and not lose a lot of movement on it

I throw it at something around 80 mph…fastball right around 83 84 mph

well how are you gripping and throwing your curve

Make sure your wrist/hand are in the supinated (i.e. karate chop) position before the arm accelerates forward. That should take enough off. If you’re late in supinating, then you’re able to put more on the pitch and you’re more likely to unjure your arm due to the extra force being applied while you twist. Do not twist during forward acceleration!

put both point/middle fingers on a seam, thumb slightly elevated on the ball, keep your knuckles towards the 3rd baseline, when you throw, pull down like you would on a lampshade.

well i like to pull it across my body from my right shoulder to me left thigh and point like im shootin at some one with my fingers.

what i do is just grip the ball with more of my finger instead of just the tips that way i can make my curve almost like two different pitches

Im throwin a knucklecurve and it is inconsistant. Sometimes it’ll break and sometimes it won’t. Im using the same exactly arm slot and release point everytime. I don’t know what going on. Can anyone help me out?

Hey…thanks alot…i have been trying a lot of different ways you all have suggested…some work some dont…i think the key thing is just to experiment and thats what im doing.

it could be your thumb placement. I know if i dont have my thumb on the side of the ball my knuckle curve wont work. it depends what grip your using though. let us know what happends

it could be your thumb placement. I know if i dont have my thumb on the side of the ball my knuckle curve wont work. it depends what grip your using though. let us know what happends[/quote]

I pitched last night at my game and i tryed moving my thumb to different spots. Some of them worked while others not so much. I’m using the middle finder along the seem with the pointer finder tucked back into the seem. It’s finding it way, I just need to work on it a little bit more.