Curveball for strike vs ball

Would like some advice on getting a curveball up when wanting to throw it for a strike. Can throw it down and drop it off for a swing and miss but find it difficult to throw it for a strike

A swing-and-miss is a strike, isn’t it?

You will want to consciously retarget with a higher spot in practice until you have a feel for throwing a curve slightly higher in the zone. Once you get a feel for it you will simply throw your higher curve. Throw it like normal but to a higher spot. Be careful not to cast it or take too much off.

Exactly what has been your problem when you try to throw it higher?

Good luck,

Ted

In my experience guys slow everything down when trying to guide a curveball. Remember to throw your curveball hard.

Thanks guys, it’s actually for my son, 16y/o lefty. I’m looking for some key words or things to look for when he’s targeting higher. The casting thing is exactly what he’s trying to avoid. He’s throw it hard when throwing it lower but seems to have a feeling of needing to slow down and cast or loop when aiming higher. What are some things you’ve experienced that help players feel the higher release point or is it just repetition? He just started working on the curve recently. Just wondering if there are any light bulb moments someone could share that helped them with that feel.

Throwing the curve hard will allow your son to better “tunnel” his pitches which increases deception.

What I might try is having him throw his fastball to the same location as the location of down curveball. Then expand that to different locations. What I am looking for is to build on Roger’s concept of tunneling. This is a good way to build deception also.

I would have him alternate Fastball, Curveball at different locations for 3 sets of each. I think it is easier for pitchers to work arm side so I would start there. If he has to repeat a curveball to feel the adjustment that is okay. The idea is the curveball follows the tunnel of the fastball. Having the two coupled can help him change his curve location at his normal curve velocity. Then in games hopefully he can follow one with the other and if it is in the same tunnel as the previous pitch, the batter is more likely to be deceived.

Low in zone
fastball armside, curveball armside

fastball glove side, curveball glove side

fastball middle, curveball middle

Higher in zone
fastball armside, curveball armside

fastball glove side, curveball glove side

fastball middle, curveball middle

I would also look at Coach Baker’s posts and notice all his articles on location.

Good luck,

Ted

That’s great advice Ted. We’ll start doing bull pens like that as opposed to x number of each pitch. Thanks