Curveball drills

Hey i was wondering if any one knows any good curveball drills?

flat ground?
theraband?
BP?

And what is the best grip to use?

…bump, any one know any?

No curveball-specific drill other than just getting the reps necessary to become comfortable with the grip and arm angle. You need to make sure you don’t twist the arm as it is accelerating forward. This means that it needs to be in the “karate chop” position before it starts forward. A good way to help make sure this happens is to set the wrist/forearm angle when the hands are together and the throwing hand is in the glove.

To get a lot of reps, I would suggest throwing a small number of curveballs more frequently instead of throwing a lot of them less frequently.

Make sure you throw the curveball with the same arm speed and release point as your fastball.

thanks for the reply,
I think fastball until just before i release, thats when i pull down on the ball.

The thing i need help with is getting a heavier or more aggressive wrist snap to make the ball drop harder, thats what i need drills for.

Any Ideas?

[quote=“el3ctro”]thanks for the reply,
I think fastball until just before i release, thats when i pull down on the ball.[/quote]

Tom House claims that thinking (thinking “fastball” first and then “curveball”) is backwards and leads to twisting of the arm. Instead, he recommends setting the arm angle in the glove and thinking “curveball” first and then “fastball”. The idea here is that you set the arm angle early and maintain it all the way through your delivery up to arm acceleration. This way the arm is already supinated before instead of during forward arm acceleration. You think “curveball” through most of your delivery to help you maintain this early supination. Then when the arm starts forward, you think “fastball” to get the same arm speed as your fastball.

[quote=“el3ctro”]The thing i need help with is getting a heavier or more aggressive wrist snap to make the ball drop harder, thats what i need drills for.

Any Ideas?[/quote]

Maybe thinking “fastball” at the end of your delivery as I described above will get you the snap you think you need simply as a result of faster arm speed.

Also, good mechanics are very important when throwing the curveball because if the shoulders open up too early then it will become harder to get over the top of the ball to put the spin on it that you need to avoid hanging it. And we all know what happens to hanging curveballs.

Have you tried a knuckle curve? You can get a really tight spin on the ball with a lot of movement. I actually got rid of the 12-6 curve after learning the knucklecurve. Steven has a good article on the correct way to throw it.

i like the tennis ball can drill. take an empty tennis ball can and grip it like you would a curveball on one end. easily go through your throwing mechanics and finish off your curve. the can should rotate end over end.

I like taking 2 baseballs and taping them together and throwing them like a curveball is gives you a great look at how your ball is spinning when u throw a curve.

you can do the same thing with an empty pop can

yeah i saw some pitchers from another team throwing pop cans to each other before the game didnt realize it before but thats another way to do it.

There are a few drills that we do here at Indiana State. I dont know if you are familiar with the wide base drill. but we do that with a curveball grip, concentrating at throwing it to the person’s hip. Also we do a drill where we stand with a wide base and we practice on using your upperbody throwing a curve and just getting the feel.

We also do A LOT, i mean A LOT of flatground work with curves.

Another good one is stride out like your pitching and stop when u land then take a board or just draw a line about 6-8 inches in from it so when your throwing your curveball you can get the feel of shortening your stride on it. also if your struggling with your curve start at about 30 ft from the catcher and stride out and just throw some too him and gradually move back til you get to the mound.

A knuckle curve is a great way to throw a curveball.

The topspin is generated by the flicking of the index (or middle) finger rather than the twisting of the wrist or the forearm.

What sort of flat ground drills?

Thanks heaps everyone for the drills, i had already been using the can spinning one, but thanks any way!

any others?