Curveball and power slider

iv been working on both of these pitches but im not sure which one to use. also, im a little bit confused on the curve ball. could someone try to explain the motion and rotation of the arm(if any) for me, i already know the grip.

I will take the “which one to use” part of the question, as there are better mechanics guys than me on the board.

I need a little more information. If you are younger than a Junior in high school, it is my opinion that you should not even be throwing a slider. If you are under 14, the curve is out too. That being said, It is better to develope the curve before the slider. The curve changes the where and when of a pitched baseball, the slider only the where (it changes the when too but not by enough).

The guys that play for pay have both and a change-up as well. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. From my own experience, I used the slider when I wanted a swinging strike or ground ball. I used the curve when I was wanting a called strike (usually the third strike).

Like Jose Rijo (only not even remotely as good) my sure strike pitch was the slider. Coach Bagonzi is correct when he says that many umpires will miss the call on a curve (even one that is over the plate for a strike) in high school ball. They will get the slider or cutter right though.

So it depends on the situation. Most guys ( but not all) will have one ptich that is better than the other. I think you find that out in collage ball. Sometimes it varies by the day, so I would develope both but not at the same time. I would add the change-up first before either.

Ian

I agree in what Ian said.

But for the second part of the question:

PS: Keep in mind that I’m not a coach or have the best mechanics out there.

When I’m throwing a curveball I think of karate-chopping. Do you understand the supination-pronation thing?

Supination -> your hand is facing inward (toward your ear).
Pronation -> hand facing outward.

So keep the forearm supinated throughout your arm motion. Don’t think fastball until release and then curveball (I think this will put additional stress). Think curveball all the way, keeping the forearm supinated.
Then upon release try the karate chop.

thx for the advice, and i am currently working on my changeup right now as i really want that pitch but as i am learning, it can be one of the hardest pitches in the game to learn good. As i have read earlier, i will probably try doing some long toss with the grip because in practice i can get the change the same as my arm speed but it doesnt carry into the game. i am probably thinking too much, but my arm speed just slows down no matter how much i want it to go faster(my arm speed not the pitch) and just to let you know, i am only 14, but i have a very mature body and could easily pass for 16, maybe 17 with my mustache if i didnt shave. I was just wondering because i just want to learn one more than likely because i dont really want to have more than 1 breaking pitch because i would feel like im neglecting the key aspect of pitching, changing speeds.

The safest way to throw a curveball is to pronate during the release. To do that, you have to get the spin through the action of your fingers rather than by continuing to supinate your wrist.

I guess I’m slow, but as a former 12-6 hooker, I just can’t picture how intentionally pronating at release promotes a curveball … I always viewed the spin / action as snapping my thumb and middle finger , with index finger pointing towards the target . That said, from viewing film / pic’s it does appear the hand returns to a pronate position after release …

Yeah I was going to ask the same question how do you pronate and throw a good curveball, not a spinner a big braking hook.

thx, and keep comments coming plz

My curveball is my best pitch, I’ve always been blessed with having a good one. Never really had to “learn” it, just “knew” how to throw it. I do exactly the opposite of what was said earlier. I think fastball until the ball is even with my ear then turn my fingers over the ball so my fingers are pointing at my head. Then just pull down and out comes the hammer.

That’s the way I throw mine any many experts and professionals will agree with what you just said.

Twisting during forward acceleration of the arm is dangerous.

In my opinion, the curveball would be the best choice. While the slider offers more velocity than the average curveball, a curveball offers a larger “gap” of speed from your fastball. My opinion though, would be to develop a good changeup before moving on to the breaking stuff (if you have not already done so). I throw four main pitches: 4-Seam, 2-Seam, Cutter and a Changeup. The changeup if a very tough pitch to master, luckily for me I must have been born with the ability to control a changeup. So if you haven’t began to throw a changeup, do so because a great changeup is often more effective than either of those pitches. Now others may not agree with me, but this is just what I believe in. Good luck