Curve vs. Slider

I have been struggling trying to learn a 12-6 curveball. I used to throw a slurve type pitch that broke probably around 10-4 or 11-5 … not the best break. I have been trying to get the feel for really getting on top on the curve and getting the 12-6 break but I can’t for the life of me get comfortable with it … what could I be doing wrong?

Also, while I continue to try and develop that curve I was wondering if perhaps my style of pitching could benefit more from a slider than a curve? If anyone could point me in the direction of a lesson on the slider that would be great.

Im not really sure what I’ll end up doing so any advice is appreciated.

What kind of armslot do you have. I always had trouble with a good 12-6. Have you ever tried a spike curve? If your a power pitcher it might not help but if your a control guy its a good pitch. It’s almost like a knucklecurve. It’s a good pitch and sometimes it’s easier to get that good break on it.

I throw from 3/4 or a bit lower … Im a lefty as well. Is the spike curve simply thrown like the normal 12-6 but with the index finger spiked? Is the idea still to “get on top” of the pitch … because I think that the notion of getting on top to get that good break is what I am having trouble with.

It’s quite possible that, given the arm angle you throw at, you might do better with a good slider. I for one have never seen anyone throw a 12-6 curve with anything but a straight overhand delivery.
The slider, when thrown correctly, is actually easier on the arm and the shoulder than just about any other pitch—especially if you pitch the way I did, many moons ago. I was a natural sidearmer, pure and simple, with a consistent release point, and I learned the slider from an active major-league pitcher (he was one of the Yankees’ Big Three, and he doubled as an extra pitching coach for them). When I asked him about the pitch, he told me, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the off-center grip he used: it was neither two-seam nor four-seam but in-between, with the thumb on the bottom and the other two fingers on the side of the ball. He demonstrated the wrist action: you know how you throw a curve, like a karate chop or pulling down a window shade? Well, you do the same thing but much easier, just turn it over. He showed me this, and then he handed me the ball he had with him and said “Go ahead, try it.” After about ten minutes of familiarizing myself with that easier wrist action, I got the hang of it. I worked with that pitch over the winter (1952), and it became my strikeout pitch.
No abstruse theories. No complicated explanations. Just throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it. And that is how you throw a slider. If you feel you want to work with it, go to it, and good luck. :baseballpitcher:

im guessing your a lefty right? since 10-4 would be a screwball for a righty. i have a 2-7 curve but i can throw a 12-6 i actually perfer the 2-7 because i have a good fastball. in my opinion its better because you can set hitters up with fastball but then throw at them with the curve and get a strike call. there more easy to buckle from a ball coming at then than just dropping down. the only downside ive seen is on a 2-7 or 11-4 in your case, is that you cant start it at letters and let it cross through the zone. have to start it in the zone or at the hitter

Thanks for the advice Zita … I think I am going to try out a slider and see how it goes. I like the idea of being able to throw a nice hard slider as my strikeout pitch.