Cupping the ball

I am a coach in the 13-15yr old and high school range. and have a
pitcher with strong mechanics drives hard off the mound. He breaks the ball late out of his glove but goes straight to a cupped grip on the ball which i believe creates tension in the arm and results with more arm usage and less body. Thoughts on a loose arm and how i can get this kid to stop cupping the ball.
thanks.

HOLY COW!
This is the first I’ve ever heard of something like this happening. What I’d like to know is how and where the kid picked up the habit of cupping the ball in his hand. This is the first thing you need to find out from him—how and where he got into this habit. It seems to me that this is a rather awkward grip, and it certainly doesn’t help him any, at least not in my opinion. What you should do is sit down with him and discuss this phenomenon, and then decide what to do about it. :?: :idea: :roll:

i’m not sure i understand…he’s essentially gripping the ball using the entirety of his hand?

I don’t understand it either. If he were gripping the ball way back in the palm of his hand with the palm facing downward, he would be throwing a palm ball, which is a very good changeup. But it sounds as if he were gripping the ball palm up, and that’s something I never heard of.

if you were to take the ball out of the glove at the hand break normally your hand would be ontop of the ball and the ball would be nearest to the ground. he is still got a fingertip grip on the ball except his knuckles are closest to the ground. I hope I explained it better.
thanks

Ask this youngster if he’s ever had an elbow injury or a badly sprained wrist?

Some pitchers who have had injuries of these types, favor that kind of seperation of the hand out of the glove - but, correct it later on as they bring the ball up prior to delivery.

I would suggest reviewing his medical form, the one he, his parents and a medical professional completed prior to starting this season. If you see nothing on the form, I’d press a little further into his medical history - with a reasonable approach, of course.

If all else comes up short on his medical history, perhaps his form is self-taught and really has no other reason than that.

Coach B.

I actually had a guy on my high school team who did this. I know exactly what you are describing. Coach Baker is right which is amazing. His guy broke both of his wrists when he was in 7th grade and had pins put in his wrists. After he had the pins removed and started playing ball in 9th grade he did this. He did not follow through the whole arm cocking like this but flipped it back the right why as he dropped his arm and started swinging it up.

I believe Yu Darvish does the exact same thing as your pitcher. Considering his success it shouldn’t be anything to worry about when it comes to result, probably just a natural motion. The problems is that Darvish is still very young so it’s hard to tell if there will be any long term damage by doing this. He’s had a few injuries under his career and he played with sprained fingers towards the end of last season (2009), but I don’t recall that being because of “cupping the ball”.

Much workouts/mechanics in baseball don’t have scientific evidence to support it, it’s often things that one coach told another who told another. The reason why to do said thing tends to be forgotten.

I’d recommend you get him to talk to a professional who can give proper answers if you are worried.

Sorry about the spelling; English isn’t my mother tongue. :smiley:

i love how it says precision control and shows a dude getting hit at the same time :lol: