Cubs get Soriano!

As a die hard Cubs fan, I am so excited to see Soriano in a Cubbies uniform! Hopefully he can get this young team going to the World Series. What do you guys think, will the Cubs be able to get enough pitching now with this big move?

He will be a big part of the Cubs offense shelling out on avg 40-50+hrs a year. As for the Cubs it’s about time they spend some of that money! An the World Series I’d like to see the White Sox in there again, but I’d rather have a Chi-town team in there than none at all.

The loss of McPhail is the best thing the Cubs could have done. He ran the Twins right into the ground and his poor leadership made last year about as hard to stomach as “caster oil”. They will have hitting, now if they can just field the ball with consistency. Pitching is still a tough call. The bull pen is there, but I’m afraid Dempster isn’t the closer they need, and the starters after (Mr. Silver Slugger…Big boy like you ought to shoot for that kind of hitting Tanner) Carlos are either inexperienced or just back from serious injury, so I’ll be sweating it out all year. I’d feel more comfortable if they had kept Greg because he eats innings and is so darn consistant (They would score some runs for him and he would win) oh well I’ll mourn about them losing Greg again in private.

136 million over eight years!!!

MLB is thriving.

But it’s all relevant. Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates will have to spend more just to keep their average pitchers. The Cubs will have to develop their own pitching…I don’t think they’ll be able to afford the pitching that will get them to the playoffs.

[quote=“Dino”]136 million over eight years!!!

MLB is thriving.

But it’s all relevant. Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates will have to spend more just to keep their average pitchers. The Cubs will have to develop their own pitching…I don’t think they’ll be able to afford the pitching that will get them to the playoffs.[/quote]there are targeting 4 average starting pitcher, vincente padilla, gil meche, pitchers like that, pitchers with experience under their belt is what it looks like, i think they will very similiar to the tigers from this year, they’ll have some young arms and very good hitters, probably not just yet world series contenders, but possibly if the pitching can get going and prior and wood can stay healthy for at least 30 starts combined, but i hear wood will be in the pen start of the year and haven’t really heard much on prior, but their really working to improve his arm action, everything is looking good for cubs fans right now, except for that pitching staff that was dominating 3 years ago

Big Cubs fan here as well… Soriano will add some exicetment to the lineup - a great 40/40 player. Pretty impressive the cubs were able to land him, according to Soriano - the Cubs were 6th on his list. The Cubs impressed him so much… Will they be moving Murton to the wayside?

We need to see some big name pitchers coming to town, I just don’t have faith that Woods and Prior will stay healthy!

A quick look at the web-site has the outfield as Murton, Delarussa (SP?), Jones. I was an unconvinced person about Pierre last year but he sure proved me wrong, to bad they couldn’t keep him. As to Murton, he had the best avg. on the team and he has wheels, unless a big free agent falls in their lap the spot is most likely his to lose.

He could definitely challenge Bonds single season HR record playing in that ballpark.

On the bad side, I heard they’re gonna make him a centerfielder. If that’s the case, that will be a disaster.