Crying Baseball Player

My son is eight and everytime he makes an error or strikes out he breaks down and it takes him an half of an inning to regroup. Any one anyt advice that would help.

He’s 8 don’t put pressure on him to preform to prefection and when he struggles, allow him to have a break, a little poweraid on the bench and he will be ready to go again next inning, especially if he realizes that the mistakes don’t disappoint you. It will get better through the year and even better next year, it’s just emotions he doesn’t know how to deal with and that’s how it comes out.

It depends on his personality.

If he naturally wants to improve and overcome - Show him how pros make errors, how they recover and finish.

Otherwise, I do not really know…I figure that is what it takes to be a competitor.

Crying shows they care. Our 10u travel ball team is full of kids who cry. Our rule is if you are crying because of a strikeout, get it together before we take the field or you sit that inning. If you cry due to an error you get moved immediately. Once we laid down some rules it seemed to help a lot. If they cry after the game, good for them. Losing sucks. I coached my daughters fall baseball 8u team this year. We had some talented boys, but winning didn’t mean anything to them. I would have loved to see some emotion after a loss or even a win. My sons team cried and cried after their two losses when they played that age group. Get around a group that doesn’t care, and it will really make you appreciate those kids who cry.

Wow…. the humanity of a youngster being a youngster. The youngest of us are truly a traveler in time. The experiences of life that make such an imprint on who we are, where we’ve been, and where we’re going. None of us travel that experience with the same bags packed – the most important bag being that of emotion. And here’s the kicker that a lot of us forget – we carried the same bag ourselves once, when we were younger. That same luggage we had a lot of help packing ourselves, with a lot of add-ons from adults, regardless if we wanted those add-ons or not.

I’ve seen tons of youngsters cry – good for them. I wish I had the nerve to cry when I saw a man released - with three little girls, his wife working at a motel on the 12- 8 shift. Or a man with subpar talent who left college on a promise – a lie really, that never materialized, money that just didn’t appear.

Look, you got a youngster that cries – step up, get in there and use your skills as a parent, coach, assistant, AD – whatever, and let him/her know it’s ok. It’s what makes us human. Want the youngster to grow up, suck it up, act like an adult - you’re missing the point of … that point in time of being young, inexperienced with life’s ups-n-downs, etc.

I volunteered for a 18U club years ago. The emotional baggage that some youngster came on to the field with was a real eye opener for me. Some kids were literally browbeaten at home, told they were worthless, others had one meal a day, others had one pair of sneakers to their name and a sweater.

I saw tears inside.

Success or failure on the field – no big deal I told them. This was a place of being who you should be – a kid. Run, hit, pitch, catch – enjoy.
Ice Creams all around for everybody.
Coach B.