Crossfire Motion

Recently I’ve became very interested in the crossfire pitching motion and the success it seems to bring pitcher that have learned to master it. I’ve seen posts on here saying that Zita is the big expert of it on here and the main point of this post is to try to get in contact with Zita. If anyone can help with that or if you have some helpful knowledge then please reply back. Thank you!

Here I am, Rick. Whatever it is you want to know about the crossfire and how to do it, fire away. I can tell you right now that this is a beautiful and lethal move that works only with the sidearm delivery and that will work with any pitch—even that obstreperous knuckleball! First, a few words about the history of this move. It’s been around for a long time; the first I heard about it was when Ewell Blackwell was using it; I read about it and picked it up when I was about 13, and later on Ed Lopat helped me refine it. And here’s how it works.
I assume you’re a righthander. Okay. You go into your windup, or the stretch, or even the no-windup Don Larsen used when he pitched his perfect game. But instead of pitching directly to the plate you take a step toward third base, whip around with your whole body and deliver the pitch to the plate from that angle. To the batter it looks as if it’s coming from third base, or from behind the pitcher’s back, and he gets all befuddled and discombooberated and confused, and usually he’ll just stand there and go “duh” as it gets in there for a delicious strike. I fell so in love with it that I wound up using it all the time, a fact which was not lost on Mr. Lopat (and what an incredible pitching coach he was); one day he was helping me with my circle change and he said to me “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” (Of course, for a lefthander you go by way of first base.) And there it is, in a nutshell—the crossfire. Any more questions, I’ll be glad to answer them. Have fun with the delivery, and lots of strikeouts.

Goddess of the Slider

Goddess of the Slider

Sounds like an “extreme sidearm” delivery or something! :pitcher: How far do you plant your foot from a standard forward-stride-and-plant? 45 degrees? 90 degrees?

I would say 50-60 degrees, something like that. And the important thing is, there can be no hesitation, no stopping; the move has to be continuous from beginning to follow-through if you don’t want the plate umpire to call you for a balk. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but once I got it I’ll never know how I did without it! As I said, it’s a beautiful and lethal move, and what it does to batters’ averages—and their egos and tempers—how many synonyms can you think of for “@#$%^&()" and ")(&^%$#@” as they did, and continue to do, go back to their dugout after one of a thousand strikeouts? (lol)

Goddess of the Slider