Cross country?

im thinking about running cross country next year for school

would that be beneficial for pitching?

couldnt hurt!

I think this may be wrong. I run cross country myself, and it causes you to develop more slow twitch muscles as opposed to fast twitch muscles needed for pitching. What I’m going to do (I hope this works) is continue lifting for baseball and throwing through the cross country season, while doing sprints in addition to the 6 miles a day of slower running. Hopefully, this minimizes the effects the long running has on my pitching.

If you’re overweight or seriously lack endurance I guess it’s more beneficial than not, but beware of the risks.

do you know any products that help with fast twitch muscle growth

no, and I doubt there are any such products. It’s called sprints and plyometrics. You gotta be willing to put forth that effort. Popping pills isn’t gonna do the work for you (to my knowledge) :slight_smile:

my coach said today that hes gonna make all of the pitchers run cross country

what should i do so i dont lsoe all my fast twitch muscle fibers

[quote=“TravisBaseball17”]my coach said today that hes gonna make all of the pitchers run cross country

what should i do so i dont lsoe all my fast twitch muscle fibers[/quote]

well as I said just continue doing sprints every other day, and plyometrics as well. I’m going to continue throwing and working out for baseball all the way through cross country season, so I don’t think I’ll lose too much explosiveness.

maybe somebody with more experience can chime in here.

should i jsut run sprints and lfit weights after practice?

Your coach is an idiot. You should never be running long distance as a pitcher for conditioning. After a start I think you need to run distance but even then I dont think its necessary. It takes very little training to stimulate the slow twitch muscle fibers to take over. It takes alot of hard work and commitment to become explosive. If you have to run long distance every day or everyother day say good buy to your velocity and have fun trying to bring it back up to where your at. Here is what I ask people, would your rather look like a cross country runner or a sprinter for your body type as a pitcher. I would like to be the sprinter, because I can gaurantee he can throw a ball harder than a distance runner.

Doing some sprints and alittle plyos might keep you the same for explosiveness but dont expect miracles.

Also as a side not you dont LOSE your fast twitch muscle fibers, its just harder to recruit them neurologically.

LeftyLanky, in my experience since I also ran cross country in high school, i saw no negative effect on my pitching from it - but different experiences different results.

Chad - It would be naive to say that you should never run long distance as a pitcher.

Original poster - Since xc and baseball are in two different seasons (fall and spring) i honestly don’t see a reason why you couldn’t run cross country. p.s. there is a preworkout supplement called fast twitch which you could look into.

Roger Clemens ran 4-5 miles a day when he was with the bosox. As of later in his career (Astros-Yankees) he toned it down to 3 miles every other day. Personally i feel as though Rogers workout should be the model for comparison.

First I was not being naive. I wrote that pitchers should run long distance but only after a start. Then I gave my opinion that even then its probably not necessary. To me there are better options, and running distance for your conditioning is a no go if you know anything about baseball conditioning.

Also Roger Clemens is not someone to base your training off of. First if he did or did not take steriods that will make a diffrence. Second strength and conditioning has come a long way since 85 or whenever Clemens came into the league. Also your looking at a Major League pitcher with infinit amount of resources.

Personally I wouldnt run cross country. Although do what makes you happy. If running cross country is fun for you then by all means do it. If the coach is making you do it and you dont want to then dont.

I run winter track, but i do mid-distance (600m runner). The farthest we go is usually 4 miles, usually once a week, and we do the first and last miles fartlegging it (sprint to telephone, jog next one, sprint again, kinda a dumb name for it but w/e) And then we do sprint workouts, like 400m and 200m. The longest we go on the track is usually 800m, but those are rare. Would doing this be training those “slow twitch” muscles?

ive run cross country for the past 3 years during the fall, baseball in the spring. I highly recomend it as it is a great way to keep in shape throughout the fall and some of the winter.