Creating Arm Whip

When I break my hands and go to the plate my arm tends to lag behind and almost stop leaving my arm to catch up when my plant foot lands. I was wondering if there were any tips or drills I could do to increase my arm whip after I break my hands. I think that will help me add some velo to my fastball

Petemarquardt,

The trick is to get your Humerus traveling in outwards rotation as you are landing the glove side foot, it should achieve around 90 degrees of initial outwards rotation when the glove side leg touches down, this will help in protecting your UCL and let you attain a longer length starting driveline. You can not even start the acceleration phase until the Humerus is fully outwardly rotated. This happens well when you supinate (thumb traveling up) your forearm along with the outwards rotation of the Humerus, Watch Verlander and how he takes it back by bringing his hand back and up to driveline height before he gets the rest of his last 90 degrees of outwards rotation of the Humerus by taking his elbow upwards and laying his forearm horizontally back.

Its all in the pendulum swing and where you initially take it before your start the acceleration phase that gives you a lengthy whip or a short one. This all depends on you Humeral /forearm transition technique at the end of your pendulum swing.

A great drill for this is pendulum swings with wrist weights on where you point your glove side arm at the target by taking it down then forwards then upwards while maintaining a slightly bent elbow and pronating (thumb down) your forearm straight forwards, at the same time take your ball side arm down then back then up supinating the forearm (thumb up) with a slightly bent elbow straight back. When you reach drive line height (ear high) immediately turn your elbow upwards while maintaining as back a position of your arm as possible this is where the gains in length are performed. Repeat until you feel a little discomfort burn.

How old are you? This will dictate how much weight you use, a 16 yo should use 10 lb. wrist weights.

Show a video of how you pitch!

Without video it’s almost impossible to understand what your exact issue is, you could be opening too soon, or the seperation of you hands might be causing some issues or it could be just a timing issue with your hips and trunk. how about some video to give us a look at where you are.

buwhite,

Some background information …

Your brain automatically responses to your inner ear’s balance mechanism. As soon as your inner ear senses an imbalance, your Mind instinctively readjusts your posture to get your Body back in balance.
Coupling my experience with kinetic pitching chains and this background information, your lagging Throwing Arm indicates your Mind is reacting to a premature forward weight shift.

Your first step toward using your Throwing Arm more effectively begins with a more dynamic Starting Position … a Starting Position where your weight is evenly distributed and any Arm/Leg movement prompts a response (not an action, but a reaction) in your Back Leg.

Good luck moving forward,

L.A. “Skip” Fast
Pro Pitching Institute

Your problem may just be your separation and how long your stride is. If it helps, trying kicking that leg higher and striding further. The leg kick helps you get your body up to speed, and the stride gives you that momentum. As for separation, you need to make sure your hips/shoulders aren’t moving together. Its definitely hard to explain this, so try watching these videos of Sandy Koufax, Justin Verlander, and Tim Lincecum.

[/url]