Creatine & Kidney Disease

I have been reading around and have seen that prolonged creatine use can lead to kidney damage. When I was born I was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). I’ve read that Purple K won’t produce creatinine, which makes your kidneys work harder.
http://www.creatinejournal.com/

I was originally going to take EAS Phosphagen Elite, but I am having second thoughts. Will the creatine in Phosphagen Elite turn into creatinine, or should I play it safe and use Purple K?

Do you have the link that states that proper doses of creatine will cause kidney damage? Remember that the website you listed is basically a giant ad for purple k, and the disclaimer at the bottom reveals that none of the claims have been verified by the FDA. Honestly, purple k is just a brand of Kre-Alkalyn, a specific type of creatine. I’ve used Kre-Alkalyn and creatine monohydrate and did not notice a difference between the two.

All studies I have seen state that proper dosing of creatine is completely safe for the kidneys. If you have a pre-existing kidney problem, then creatine can worsen it, but this is quite rare.

[quote]One recent study compared kidney health in creatine users and non-users. The creatine group consisted of competitive athletes that had been using between 1-20 grams of creatine monohydrate for an extended period of time (10 months to 5 years). The non-user group consisted of men and women from the universities graduate program. Blood and urine tests were performed on each subject from both groups to determine the effect of creatine on kidney health and function.

Results from the study indicated that creatine monohydrate supplementation did not have any adverse affects on kidney function or health in any of the subjects in the creatine user group. While this information suggests that creatine monohydrate does not cause kidney damage in healthy men and women, individuals with kidney or other health problems should consult their physician prior to using creatine monohydrate.

Source
Poortmans J, Francaux M. Long-term oral creatine supplementation does not impair renal function in healthy athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 31, N0. 8, pp. 1108-1110, 1999.
[/quote]

[quote=“kc86”]Do you have the link that states that proper doses of creatine will cause kidney damage? Remember that the website you listed is basically a giant ad for purple k, and the disclaimer at the bottom reveals that none of the claims have been verified by the FDA. Honestly, purple k is just a brand of Kre-Alkalyn, a specific type of creatine. I’ve used Kre-Alkalyn and creatine monohydrate and did not notice a difference between the two.

All studies I have seen state that proper dosing of creatine is completely safe for the kidneys. If you have a pre-existing kidney problem, then creatine can worsen it, but this is quite rare.

[quote]One recent study compared kidney health in creatine users and non-users. The creatine group consisted of competitive athletes that had been using between 1-20 grams of creatine monohydrate for an extended period of time (10 months to 5 years). The non-user group consisted of men and women from the universities graduate program. Blood and urine tests were performed on each subject from both groups to determine the effect of creatine on kidney health and function.

Results from the study indicated that creatine monohydrate supplementation did not have any adverse affects on kidney function or health in any of the subjects in the creatine user group. While this information suggests that creatine monohydrate does not cause kidney damage in healthy men and women, individuals with kidney or other health problems should consult their physician prior to using creatine monohydrate.

Source
Poortmans J, Francaux M. Long-term oral creatine supplementation does not impair renal function in healthy athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 31, N0. 8, pp. 1108-1110, 1999.
[/quote][/quote]

In the book “The Young Athlete” its stated that there are 3 definite cases of permanent kidney damage from prolonged Creatine use. and that is an old book.

if you dont drink a lot of water you will get side effects, if you take it right your fine