Crafty lefty?

who do you think is the best example of a crafty lefty in the big leagues right now?

I remember, decades ago, when there were a lot of them in the major leagues—pitchers who didn’t have much in the way of speed but who had tremendous arsenals of breaking stuff, snake jazz, whatever one wanted to call it, and who would give batters no end of conniption fits! One such was Ed Lopat—I knew him well; he was one of the Yankees’ fabled Big Three, and his specialty was beating the Cleveland Indians to a pulp. He was also my pitching coach for about four years, and what I learned from him about the art of peing a successful finesse pitcher was nothing short of priceless. (I was a righthanded sidearmer whose two best pitches were a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” and a very good knuckle-curve.)
In this day and age I would have to go with Lopat’s practically exact counterpart—the Phillies’ Jamie Moyer. He’s the same type of pitcher—not much on speed, lefthanded, and with a great arsenal of breaking pitches, and when he’s on his game he too gives batters conniption fits. I was thinking—if it were possible to play with time, wouldn’t it be terrific to have those two guys pitching against each other? Anyway, I would say Moyer—who intenda to pitch until he’s 50, and only then would he even consider retiring—is the best “crafty lefty” of our time. Much as I enjoy watching fireballers in action, I get an even bigger kick out of watching the snake-jazzers make batters look very, very silly with the stuff they have. 8) :baseballpitcher:

Moyer is one example, probably the best. I love watching him pitch and seeing guys shake there heads on the way back to the dugout.
A crafty lefty doesn’t necessarily have to throw slow, I would consider a guy like Cliff Lee crafty. He throws 88-92 or so, but really relies on location to get guys out, he doesn’t really blow guys away. Same thing with Johan Santana, he really relies on location and changing speeds to get guys out. Granted he strikes guys out, but its not like he’s just powering the ball by guys, he’s keeping them off balance.
Randy Wolf would be another crafty lefty, upper 80s fastball with a good hook.
But all in all, if you want to watch somebody who does all the little things, watch Moyer. He does it all. He backs up the bases, he bunts the guy to third, he fields his position, he knows the hitters. And he is no slouch on the mound.

:allgood: Doug Davis might be another.

I’d say that Moyer is the best example. He will soon (if he hasn’t already) have the MLB record for most home runs hit against. While at first glance that does not seem like a good record, when considering that he is good enough to have thrown for so long is why he holds that record it really lets you see his longevity.

Note thought that I am extremely biased as I am an avid mariners fan (sigh) and will forever love Moyer for what he truly is…A MARINER!

wouldnt also Tom Glavine be an example being that he never really threw hard at one point in his carrer. Kinda like that kid in Baltimore Brian Matusz

always thought ted lilly was pretty crafty

Clayton Kershaw
Fransisco Liriano
David Price
Cliff Lee
Johan Santana (although he’s far from his best form…)

Maybe: Aroldis Chapman

and well… best lefty all time recently (last season) retired :wink:
Randy Johnson

[quote=“JvL”]Clayton Kershaw
Fransisco Liriano
David Price
Cliff Lee
Johan Santana (although he’s far from his best form…)

Maybe: Aroldis Chapman

and well… best lefty all time recently (last season) retired :wink:
Randy Johnson[/quote]

I wouldn’t necessary consider those guys crafty… they just beat you with their electric stuff.

Now Jamie Moyer, on the other hand, can be considered crafty.

The craftiest, in my opinion.