Could someone help me analysis my mechanics please?

These are some of the pictures I was able to extract from a video I took of pitching mechanic. I looked at it myself, and due to my limited knowledge on the correct pitching mechanics, I am only able to pick up a few mistakes from my own mechanics.

From what I can see from the pictures, its obvious that my front foot is not pointed to the plate as I throw, this would probably cause my hips to open up too quickly and release release some of the energy too early. Also…my release point is probably too high up, I should probably be pulling my elbow forward further before release.

I am hoping if anyone here would be kind enough to give me some pointers on my pitching mechanics and how I should go about fixing them?
Thank you.

Here are a couple of things that I see…

1. After you break your hands, you seem to take your pitching arm side hand well behind your back. I don’t think is necessary and it may cause problems. I would prefer that you broke your pitching arm side hand straight back toward 2B.

2. You seem to collapse your glove-side leg, which lowers your release point. It may be that you are trying to stride too far. This may then cost you power by reducing how much your hips can rotate.

3. I don’t think you’re getting much power out of the action of your glove side arm. At least, I would suggest you point your glove at the target.

4. You do seem to release the ball a little soon.

This is what i would do. One Don’t have a swinging leg kick, This could be throwing you off balance. Plus in stretch runners will run on you all day because you swing your foot past the back side of the rubber. once you do that you need to go to the plate. Leg kick straight up and down your fourth picture over from the top is perfect, stop there. Second you don’t break your hands till foot nearly hits the ground too late,soon as your legs goes down to pitch you break your hands almost simutaneously. Thirdly I agree with Chris your striding out to far shorten this up just a bit. Your right when you said “my foot is open then IM probably open” Your right. Front side shut land on the ball of your foot but your foot is side ways then pop your hips and rotate through.
For as far as the throwing goes. you go way to far back behind your head. I do agree with showing the ball to second base. I hope this helps. some stuff sometimes is hard to understand reading it and you need a picture. Give this a try it won’t be an overnight so don’t give up on it. good luck.

Few things I see are:

1. Your back knee is breaking down
    2)You are seperating your hand away from your body and this is excess motion that could be elminated
  2. It looks like you break your hands too low and this could cause your throwing arm to not be able to catch up to your body and you lose the power in your legs.
  3. Looks like you kick your foot out when you come down from your set postion “like a gate” you need to come down and then out…Stride and glide as I was taught :lol:
  4. Your back knee is breaking down too much I believe, I believe in standing tall and then “driving the ball down”
  5. Your glove hand is too low I believe and it looks like you are pulling yourself to the left and falling off the mound

These are just a few things that I seee

I agree with Chris’ comments about you collapsing on your back leg. It’s severe and I agree with him again that you stride too far. I’m a believer in a long stride but this might be pushing that a bit too much.

I don’t agree with Chris on the pointing the glove recommendation. I see no value in it and aside from Mike Mussina, potentially, it’s very difficult to fiind an MLB pitcher who does it. It can, not always will, but can cause the front shoulder to open too early if the glove turns such that the arm goes into external rotation early. People I see also have a tendency to drop it straight down as opposed to bringing it back in (or bringing the chest to it, however you want to describe it) thus causing the early opening issue to be made worse.

My recommendation on that is to study major leaguers and emulate that but check back here with questions on timing and intent.

Also, bringing your pitching arm hand back toward second base, straightening it out in the process also provides little to no value. The only “slinger” I have video of is Jim Palmer. I can’t find any current day examples of a pitcher who does this. The vast majority of MLB pitchers use the “horizontal W” approach. Any extension of the pitching arm on the way back is purely style and tempo related. They all (mostly) translate into the horizontal W, so the arm extension adds nothing to the overall process unless it helps with your timing/tempo.

thank you for all the pointers!
But there are a couple terms that im not quite familiar with and its causing me troubles on understanding what exactly some of the comments mean.
for example chris mentioned that I “collapse my glove-side leg”, RTusk mentioned that my “back knee is breaking down”, and dm59 mentioned the “horizontal W”…Im really confused as to what else phrases mean…could somebody please explain them to me? thank you.

ArresChang
The back knee collapsing or breaking down is in reference to the first motion you have after the knee lift. You “sit” significantly by bending the posting (back) knee before you move out into the stride. Don’t keep it ramrod straight but have a slight bend in it. Drive the left hip forward to start your stride. Don’t think “drop 'n drive”.

As for the horizontal W. If you PM me with your email address, I’ll send you video of MLB pitchers showing this component of arm action. What it means is that, just before the front foot turns over to land, the elbows are slightly bent, the arms are horizontal and at shoulder height. If you were looking straight down from above, your arms would form, roughly, a “W” shape.

Remember, this isn’t a static position but a moment in time.

first things first your left leg shouldnt be wrapping around your planted foot. this causes you to pull your front shoulder out of line with home plate thus making you have to play catchup which is the reason why your release point is so high.

Now here your body is “Falling Off” the plate. your throwing straight ahead from where you started but your body is falling off to the left. you can change this by simply pointing your front foot towards the plate and not over striding as shown in the circle.

I have an easy workout that I have done in the past to keep myself from falling off.

make X your starting point with the ball of your right foot. now stride at a long (but controlled) pace until making contact with the ground. now make sure that you stride straight towards the plate keeping your foot closed. this is where you will make the T now go through a pitching workout trying to land even with the top of the T and straight with the virtical line of the T. it will be hard at first but after a while it will be easy.

Hope this helps you if you have any questions of comments please feel free to contact me on this page or email me at " zman_1206@msn.com "

If you try to listen to all of these people you are only going to get confused. Get yourself a clip of Roy Oswalt’s motion. You’ll see that he collapses his back leg considerably. The difference is that he does it as a part of sitting during his stride, while you are dropping down and then pushing up somewhat as you stride out. This take momentum away from you and wastes some of the advantages of the long stride. dm59 has given you some good advice. Most of the rest of what you are doing is simply your own personal style.

The horizontal W refers to scapula loading. Almost every major league pitcher pinches their shoulder blades together forming a w shape with their arms when seen from a top view. This should occur somewhere between frames 11 and 12 of your rear view images. It doesn’t look like you are doing it very much.

I don’t think reverse-rotating the hips is necessarily bad. I think that he brings his pitching hand so far behind his shoulders/back is a bigger concern.

There is a real debate about whether this is the cause of power or just the effect of a powerful motion. I think it’s more effect than cause.

I would focus on the sequencing of when your hips and shoulders open (e.g. hips leading shoulders by a significant degree) first. I looked at your clips again, and it looks like your shoulders are turning with your hips. What should happen is that your hips should turn well (45 to 90 degrees) before your shoulders.

Also, it seems like your back leg just gave up on following through there, try to get it higher so you will have a better follow through.

And yes, scapular loading IS something that you should focus on, it is a major part of any major leaguers motion. Despite what Chris says about scap loading, I and lots of other people on this board agree that it is a very important part of the pitching motion.

Is it more important than the rotation of the hips, torso, and shoulders?

No!!

It’s just ONE of the tools in the toolbox. Let’s use 'em all and put them all together into a well coordinated whole.

I see that there are a lot of things for me to work on right now, i’ll get to them one at a time, probably starting with bring my pitching hand back towards 2B ,putting down a good step with my front foot pointing towards the plate and then slowly try to work out a better rotation sequence with my hip, torso and shoulder. thx again for all the helpful comments

I’ll come back again in the future with hopefully a better set of mechanics and start working on the other details you guys have pointed out, the horizontal W!

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Here are a couple of things that I see…

1. You seem to collapse your glove-side leg, which lowers your release point. It may be that you are trying to stride too far. This may then cost you power by reducing how much your hips can rotate.
    [/quote]

Instead of not collapsing the glove-side leg, I’d suggest starting with knees bent more to reduce the dip during the stride. This will minimize head movement.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
3. I don’t think you’re getting much power out of the action of your glove side arm. At least, I would suggest you point your glove at the target.[/quote]

What would be the purpose of this? Are you suggesting he then pull the glove to his side to increase rotation?

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
4. You do seem to release the ball a little soon.[/quote]

In the posted pictures, the pitcher’s shoulders have over-rotated at release. Delaying the release of the ball would only give his shoulders even more time to over-rotate further. I’d recommend getting to foot strike quicker.

good stride length, but don’t swing your leg back maybe.

I agree with Chris in the fact that scapular loading is a product of the motion rather than a mechanical piece that must be practiced or even focused on. Ps Mr Ellis can we get a LTP iphone app? This is tough :smiley: