Costs, Just a Question

I’m from Canada, and up here we have “free” health care (we pay for it through our taxes), so I’m really curious as to how much this all would of cost me.

I had 3 X-Rays on my Right Shoulder, 2 Ultra Sounds an MRI with the injection of dye (then it’s called an MRA I believe) and finally they scoped me and repaired everything in my shoulder, I had 3 tears in my labrum and my shoulder capsule was acutely loose.

I’m just looking for a rough answer as to how much this could of cost me had I not been a Canadian Citizen. If anyone has a idea, or a suggestion of who to inquire to that’d be great.

Expensive. Especially if you did not have insurance here. You are easily looking at a few thousand dollars. I had several MRI’s and XRays which resulted in surgery on my elbow and my dad joked that without the great insurance plan his place of work has he would have to pawn me off to another family. Hah.

Most, but not all people have insurance to cover the cost. We pay the insurance instead of paying the government.

My guess is $12,000 to $15,000, but it could be high. It also could be low, depending on the surgeon. With Dr. Andrews, you might pay $30,000. With Dr. Joe Schmoe, I’d guess you’re in the $10,000 range. It’s not cheap by any means. Many insurance policies pick up 80 to 90% of the tab, however, here in the States. And, of course, it 100% paid for if you’re a college or professional baseball player.

Well I had the Surgery through the Fowler-Kennedy Sport Medicine Clinic performed by Dr. Willits.

The Clinic and mostly all their surgeons are world renowned in the Sports World, I think more so in Hockey and Olympic Sports as opposed to the Baseball Community, the standouts in Baseball that I can remember off the top of my head are/were Jim Clancy and Adam Stern.

So I’m guessing more towards the 15K+ range I suppose.

As you pointed out taxes cover the cost of medical care in Canada. I’m curious what it cost you as a taxpayer. Add up all the taxes you have paid and divide that amount by the number of times you used the medical system.

That’s a good thought.

But there’s one problem.

Up here they take all the money (Sales taxes i.e. GST & PST, Monies from liscences, federal income taxes, land transfer taxes etc.) that the government collects over the year and divides it up in their budget to use in various aspects such as health care, road repair, education etc.

So there is truly no way of knowing how much of your money went towards health care or another part of the federal budget.

[quote=“Papibon”]As you pointed out taxes cover the cost of medical care in Canada. I’m curious what it cost you as a taxpayer. Add up all the taxes you have paid and divide that amount by the number of times you used the medical system.[/quote]I know someone who asks why she should have to pay for schools when she doesn’t have children who go to them. My answer, that’s the system you’re in. We, as a country, have decided that this was to be our approach. One can argue for ages about the benefits of various systems relative to each other and no agreement has ever come of it. The US is struggling with how to best deliver health care and Canada is doing the same. I’m unsure why you really want to know this kind of detail.