Cortisone shot?

I’m pretty sure that I will just play outfield in college but I might pitch some also. I have had elbow problems the last two years. My elbow hurts mainly when I pitch but it also hurts when I throw hard from the outfield. I’ve been to doctors recently and even had a MRI done but there is no problems, yet there is still pain. I am looking into getting a cortisone shot, does anybody have any advice on the subject? I’d appreciate it greatly.

do you strech before you throw? {it’s not good to strech the arm before you throw}

Do you use tubing and have a tubing routine? {IF not that could be the problem you are supose to use tubing be for and after you throw}

YOU DON"T NEED A SHOT IF NOTHING IS WRONG. IT JUST MIGHT BE HOW YOU PREPARE TO THROW.

Yes, I do use tubing a lot. I even went to physical thereapy for six weeks but it did not relieve the pain. I have no idea what to do

How much are you throwing now? Are you pitching from a mound or just taking outfield or what?

I have just been playing outfield lately, but I have an upcoming tryout with a college and I want my arm to be good and lively.

What type of doctor did you see? It is important to see a doctor who is familiar with throwing problems. Cortisone can provide temporary relief of pain from inflammation but it does tend to weaken tendons and ligaments when overused and it won’t heal the source of the problem unless knocking out the inflammation is enough to let it heal. In any case, a doctor has to prescribe the cortisone shot so the doctor is the person to talk to.

Not all UCL problems can be picked up from an MRI. There are also nerve problems such as pronator syndrome that many doctors will miss.

BTW, I don’t know if it is true, but I’ve heard that the area around the cortisone shot will be pretty sore for a day or two afterwards.

[quote=“RIstar”]do you strech before you throw? {it’s not good to strech the arm before you throw}

Do you use tubing and have a tubing routine? {IF not that could be the problem you are supose to use tubing be for and after you throw}

YOU DON"T NEED A SHOT IF NOTHING IS WRONG. IT JUST MIGHT BE HOW YOU PREPARE TO THROW.[/quote]

Wtf are you talking about its NOT good to stretch? Your the one who is so adamant about being flexible???

fastballthrower,
Stretching as opposed to dynamic warmup before an activity can predispose one to an injury. However, my experience is that with shoulder tightness that is reducing velocity there are times when stretching before throwing can be beneficial in terms of increased velocity.

compression shirts as in underarmour? what’s wrong with that?

why would it be a crutch for anyone?

I think its good to an extent because it provides warmth but it doesnt take away from flexibility but i think that alot of it is hyped up in the marketing buisness especially since the pros seem to where them quite a bit and alot dont use them hell moises alou doesnt where batting gloves he pisses on his hands so they get rougher however just like bull durham if you believe its helping you then it is helping you

no difference, i wear it when its cold usually, thats it. or if im in the outfield

I just bought a elbow sleeve to see how it feels. I threw with it the first time and it felt a little better. I am planning on mainly just playing outfield but I will still need to make the long throws from the outfield. Would it be as much of a problem to just wear it while in the outfield?

I’m a junior in highschool and have elbow problems myself. Its just like the original guy said I went to the therapy for as long as he did and my arm felt better but as soon as I began throwing it was back to hurting again. I had the MRI done too and it showed nothing yet I was still in pain. I even asked some people about a cortisone shot but my parents wouldn’t let me so…

Also I pitch too and play outfield and it does hurt a bit more after pitching than just playing the field.

Also I tried wearing the tight under armor because i knew it would compress my arm and it made my arm feel great but ever since i started ding that it has made my arm mechanics go all out of wack I’m throwing high all of a sudden and I stopped wearing it and still don’t have my control back yet so…I don’t like the under armor thing either unless it’s cold out.