Correct stride length

What is the correct stride lenght for 10U pitcher. I have read 70% height so my son being almost 5’ and just now 10 should be striding 3.5 feet?

That length seems long to me but honestly I have never measured my son’s stride length.

And what is gives a pitcher the most advantage.

1. A long stride, i.e. getting closer to the batter before release.

or

1. Given most mounds drop quickly in height, a comfortable stride with the pitcher staying taller relative to the batter to get that steeper angle of the ball going forward torwards home plate?

Hard to quantify, I think if only given a choice of either I’d take the steeper angle, with changing speeds as the biggest advantages.

The stride should be as long as possible while still being able to maintain good posture and balance. Young kids lack the core strength to stabilize their posture while moving too far, too fast so their strides might be a bit shorter.

70% of one’s height is actually low. Many folks these days shoot for 90-100%. The NPA uses a guideline of 6 of the pitcher’s shoe lengths.

But what you really need to know is that stride length isn’t something you should consciously try to achieve. Instead, a long stride is a result of doing other things well and it’s those things you should being trying to achieve (e.g. good posture and balance, good momentum, good timing to stay closed longer, etc.).

Regarding a higher release point vs. a release point that is closer to home plate, if you’re going to achieve the higher release point by striding shorter or altering your posture to raise your arm slot, then you are making trade-offs that can affect both performance and health. You should the NPA’s book, Arm Action, Arm Path, and The Perfect Pitch: Building the Million Dollar Arm. It talks about this very issue (plus many others) and comes to the conclusion that a release point that is closer to home plate creates more of an advantage than does a higher release point. (But you’ll have to decide if you agree with their premises.)