Correct form on the mound

Ok, I have heard alot of people and pro baseball players that before you throw the ball your lead leg should be bent and your back led should be straight. The problem is i am doing everything they are saying but not seeing much velocity improvment. I was wondering if any of you guys knew if there is any kind of way u have to push off that back leg or do anything with your front leg
Thanks,

I noticed that you just joined the 21st of this month so you may not know how “complete” this web site is. As you will soon find, there are a number of sources you can go to for the help you’re looking for starting with the “author” of this web site, Steven Ellis, (go specifically to his articles) as well as by profitting from the feedback that you will get from coaches and players via this forum.

I don’t know how old you are, but if you’ve been pitching for awhile, you hopefully are aware that there’s a lot more to pitching than simply using your back and legs when trying to gain greater velocity. If you haven’t gone this route before, having someone videotape you throwing from the mound would be an important “tool” in your learning process. The naked eye often cannot pick up that which the camera can, particularly when something is done quickly. What you think you’re doing may be inaccurate. Your mind can (and will) deceive you, but the camera won’t lie. Your particular mechanics, broken down frame by frame, should give you all the information you’ll need and the direction in which to go. At this point you might want to hook up with someone in your area that is knowlegeable referent to pitching mechanics and have him look at the tape and offer his suggestions. Later, if you’re still confused you can always come back to this forum.

Additionally, Tom House’s latest book “The Art & Science of Pitching” (NationalPitching.com) gives you a detailed breakdown of what you need to do and the drills to practice the specific mechanics.

“Ok, I have heard alot of people and pro baseball players that before you throw the ball your lead leg should be bent and your back led should be straight. The problem is i am doing everything they are saying but not seeing much velocity improvment. I was wondering if any of you guys knew if there is any kind of way u have to push off that back leg or do anything with your front leg.”

This isn’t nearly as important as making sure the the rotation of your hips is leading the rotation of your shoulders (by a significant degree).

The reason that pushing off the rubber with the pitching arm side foot works is that it increases the rate and amount with which the hips can rotate.