Converting from DeuceMeister to Flamethrower

About Me:

I am currently a senior in my final year of high school. I had frequented these boards back during my freshman and sophomore years, but I eventually stopped posting. My off season prior to my junior season was not as successful as I had hoped, so I would like to use every opportunity possible to make my senior season a success.

I had mainly intended to focus my training solely on my pitching, since that is what I will be doing in college. However, there are some key pieces that seem to be missing from my team this year. For that reason, I will also be focusing on my hitting as well. I have not been an actual hitter since my freshman year and part of my sophomore year, but I know if I work at it I can be a major contributor.

I work hard in the weightroom. I try to maintain a high intensity for all my lifts. I love the feeling of just busting my ass and knowing afterwards that I gave it my all.

My Skill-set:

The hardest I have hit on the gun is 86 mph. I sit at about 82 mph in games. While this is unimpressive for an 18 year old, I am quite proud of myself considering I was only touching 80, maybe 81 during this past spring. I have found some key mechanical adjustments that have been showing great promise. I am now focusing on fine-tuning these mechanics.

I made my success this past year through my control and movement. I have a curveball, slider, and a change-up. The curveball is a big, 12-6 style deuce, the slider is basically a side-ways curve that works very well for giving hitters a different kind of movement to have to look for, and my change-up has very poor control and needs work. Excluding my change-up, I can throw any pitch, in any count, with utmost confidence.

My Goals:

Be touching at least 89 mph by this spring.
Get better control on my change-up.
Be a legitimate varsity hitter.
Be strong(er). (Extraordinary Resolve).

My Training Plans:

While 1RM testing is a great way to boost an ego and compare yourself to other people, I have little concern for it this off-season, so very few numbers will be posted as a 1RM test. I have no idea where my 1RM for any particular lift is now, and I have no intention of figuring it out any time soon.

I have found great success these past years using Joe Defranco’s WS4SB III template, so I intend to continue using that. My primary goal in the weightroom is just to get stronger. However, if I were to gain a few pounds of muscle mass, I would not complain. I intend to use rep schemes primarily designed to work on my strength, as well as adding additional baseball-related exercises such as additional core work.

My fall season just ended so I will be able to lift 4 times a week now. I had also been throwing 3 times a week: 1 long toss session, 1 bull-pen, and 1 outing. I will now be throwing 2-3 long toss sessions every week, with possibly a bull-pen. Still deciding on that. Because I will also need to be able to hit this year, I will also be doing tee work a few times a week.

My Intended Schedule:

Tuesday: Throw, tee work, lift with team upper body

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Throw, tee work, lift with team lower body

Friday: OFF

Saturday: Throw, tee work, lift alone upper body

Sunday: Lower Body

Monday: OFF

I have a scheduling issue on Mondays and Wednesdays for about two months that will not permit me to do anything on those days. I like to have a day off between lifting and throwing or hitting to ensure my mechanics will not be impaired by soreness.

Nutrition:

I am trying to cut soda out of my diet entirely, as well as removing alot of empty calories. I am focusing on eating a lot of protein as well as ingesting the right fats and carbs. I am currently sitting at my desk eating a cup of pecans, almonds, and walnuts, with an empty carton of cottage cheese and an empty protein shake sitting on the floor.

One thing that worries me about my diet is that it consists of a great deal of meat and dairy products, both high in cholesterol. Now, I’m only 18 so I do not think it is that big of a deal, but is there a point of too much, even at my age? I know cholesterol has its purposes in the body, so it is not something I would like to start cutting and discover that I it was not a concern. Anyone with an opinion on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Well… that pretty much covers everything for my first post.

Lifted lower body today.

ME Lower Body: 10-24-10: 8:30 PM -9:30 PM (later than I’d like)

Barbell Bulgarian Split Squats: Work up to 5 RM - BW, 45lbs, 65lbs, 85lbs, 95lbs, 105lbs, 125lbs, 145lbs

Romanian Deadlift: 1x5, 4x8 1x95lbs, 1x135lbs, 3x185lbs

Ab Wheel Rollout: 3x10

Russian Twists: 3x20 10lb plate

Hanging Leg Raises: 3x10

My last lower body workout I discovered an odd muscular imbalance; I can box squat more than I can free squat, to a greater depth. I am not really sure how to correct this so I am trying to use max effort unilateral work to see how that works. One potential reason I was given for the issue was my flexibility, however I can pistol squat my body weight multiple times, so I feel like flexibility is entirely the issue.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Crappy Half-Session today cuz my coach only let us lift for like 45 minutes, which he made me do his stuff first.

ME Upper Body: 10/26/10 3:30-4:15 PM

Bench Press, Tricep Extensions, Bicep Curls Circuit: 10 seconds each exercise, 10 seconds between each exercise, 60 seconds rest between sets, 3 sets, 95lbs, 20lbs, 60lbs
(This is called a Power Workout… not sure what it’s actually accomplishing, but I doubt its power)

Bench Press: 3x5 115, 135, 155

Thick Bar Bench Press: 1x18, 1x15 95lbs

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x10 60lbs

Chin-ups: 3x5

I threw into a net in my garage beforehand but it didnt go so well as my net has pretty much fallen apart and I don’t get that good of traction in my garage. Rain is my greatest antagonist today.

Go for it buddy! You seem to have a great attitude and most importantly a PLAN for how to reach your goals. That’s how you get shit done.

I wouldn’t worry about your cholesterol if you’re eating an all natural diet…might want to check out Brian St. Pierre’s blog to read up more on the topic if you’re interested.

Made the mistake of lifting with a teammate. It was very low intensity, unfortunately. And I wasted a bit of energy because we had to keep adjusting the height because he is a lot shorter than me.

ME Lower Body: 10/28/10 4:30-6:00 PM

Box Squats Below Parallel: 5x5 95, 135, 155, 185, 205 1x3 225 (this took around 30-45 minutes because of the time it took to adjust the weights and we kept talking)

Bulgarian Split Squats: 2x8 95lbs

Romanian Deadlift: 1x5 95lbs (hamstrings were still sore from last LB day. started to deadlift but decided not to)

Ab-Wheel Rollout: 3x10

Russian Twists: 3x20 10lbs

Leg Raises: 3x10

So I finally realized that when I box squat my knees “roll” outward, which I’m pretty sure is wrong. So I think I need to work on my legs’ stabilizers, so I will be continuing to do a lot of unilateral work.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction Lanky. According to the studies cited by BSP, dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol so it looks like I get to keep things rolling like I have been.

Field tomorrow for defensive work and bp

Friday:
Took groundballs and hit bp with the team. I threw alot of the bp, but it was pretty minimal effort throwing. Hit okay. Took 2 rounds with wood, final round with metal. About 35 cuts total

Saturday:
Walked for JDRF in the morning then lifted with a upper body with a teammate in the afternoon. Him and I seem to be very close strength-wise so it was a good fit for weights and rep schemes. Although it felt like we lifted for a long time and I didnt keep an eye on the clock to figure out the time.

ME Upper Body: 10/30/2010
Bench Press: 5x5 65, 95, 115, 135, 155 1x4 170lbs (my partner helped it halfway through the 4th rep, but i know i had it)

Swiss Bar Bench Press: 2xmax reps 95lbs 20reps, 22 reps

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x12 60lbs (need to make a personal note to up the weight)

Lateral Raises: 3x20 10lbs

Chin-ups: 3x8
Tricep Pushdown: 3x20 Purple band

Scarecrows: 3x10

Bicep Curls: 3x10 60lbs

DE LB later today. I have a big test tomorrow to study for so I may push lifting back, but I’d rather not.
Planning on working with my pitching coach Tuesday.

ME LB: 10/31/2010 7:35-8:50
Bulgarian Split Squats: 5x5 45, 95, 115, 135, 150lbs

Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x12 30lbs

Romanian Deadlift: 1x10, 1x5, 3x10 95lbs w/Extra ROM, 135lbs, 185lbsx3

Lying Leg Raise: 3x10 (explosive upward, lower slowly)

I watched out Magnificent Mobility and followed along as my warm-up (I don’t factor my warm-up into my time lifting above). A lot of good stuff there. Although I expected to have a more amazing session by doing such a proper warm-up.

The dumbbell bulgarians took alot out of me and my rest periods for my second and third set of those and RDL’s were really hard to keep going.

Day off tomorrow. Pitching lesson tuesday, followed by repetition effort upper body.

Pitching lesson was very good. A lot of feed back to work on.

RE UB: 11/2/2010 8:35-9:35
Swiss Bar Bench Press: 3xmax reps 105lbs 18, 16, 15reps

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x10 70lbs (kipped a little more than I would like)

Lateral Raises: 3x10 10lbs (slow decent each rep)

Chin-ups: 1x8, 1x6 w/2 negatives, 1x5 w/3 negatives

Face-pulls: 3x10

Bicep Curls: 3x10 70lbs (more kipping than I would like)
Tricep Pushdown: 3x20 purple band

Rice Digs: 3x60 seconds w/ 30 second hold, 30s rest

Day off tomorrow

Throw and DE LB thursday. My legs are still pretty sore from Sunday. I need to eat more or something. My body is getting destroyed everytime I lift. Not sure if I’m overdoing it every workout or my body is just really really slow adapting.

Did some rotational drills instead of throwing. Give my arm a bit of an off day and really focused on getting hip-shoulder separation with the drills. Plus it was raining and I didn’t wanna mess up all my baseballs.

Lifted with a younger on the team. Taught him how to do a couple lifts so I probably went overtime on this.

DE LB: 11/4/2010
Box Jumps: 5x3 Dunno how high, but definitely a PR

Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x12 95lbs

Romanian Deadlift: 2x5 95lbs, 135lbs, 2x8, 1x10 185lbs

Sledgehammers: 5x10

Tomorrow is an off day, although I think I will do some hip drills if my core and legs allow. I will also being doing some of the stretches from Magnificent Mobility. Definitely a great product. I realized why it wasn’t that great the first time: I did ALL the stretches shown, as opposed to the recommended number of 8-10 stretches in the video. Well done on my part. (End sarcasm)

Lifted twice this weekend, ME UB yesterday, ME LB today. Fielded and hit groundballs with a couple teammates from about 12:30-3:30. I hit about a 100 grounders, fielded another 50, and then took about 100 at first base. Solid workout. The ground was a little damp so the ball took pretty easy hops, but i didnt miss a single grounder and i only missed a couple picks.

ME UB 11/06/2010 Forgot the time
Bench Press: 4x5 65, 95, 115, 135 1x7 165lbs (more than i expected :))

Swiss Bar Bench Press: 2xmax reps 18, 16 105lbs

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x12 70lbs (last reps of each set had a bit of extra kip)

Lateral Raise: 3x10 10lbs

Chin-ups: 3x8

Face-pulls: 3x12

Bicep Curls: 3x10 (alot of kipping)
Tricep Pushdown: 3x20 purple band

Rice Digs: 3x60seconds, w/30second hold, 30s rest

ME LB: 11/07/2010 6:10-7:35
Bulgarian Split Squats: 5x5 45, 65, 95, 115, 135, 165lbs

Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x8 50lbs

Romanian Deadlift: 1x5 135lbs, 3x8 185lbs (got lazy on my rest periods here, thus why the workout was so long)

Lying Leg Raise: 3x10

Once again, props to the boys who made Magnificent Mobility. I love using it to warm-up now, or just to stretch out on an off day to speed recovery.

I will not have access to any equipment for the next week, which is a major damper on my training. I plan to do some bodyweight stuff still, maybe some sprints, as well as torque drills for my hips.

I didn’t keep up with my workouts as well as I would have liked to, but I managed to get one session in. Found an old tire, a chain and a sledgehammer.

Full Body 11/11/10 Dunno the time
Tire Flips: 5x8 250lb tire I think

Sledgehammers: 5x10

Tire Pulls: 3 sets each side

Diet was terrible. Gotta get back to work.

I’m shutting down my arm for probably 6 weeks. Til about Christmas. During which time, I plan to be going balls out in the weightroom.

Hey im Adrian

Hi Adrian, I’m Duece

Started lifting but was interrupted by some homework that I forgot to do. Stupid school…

ME UB 11/14/2010 8:10-8:30
Bench Press: 4x5 65, 95, 115, 135 1x6 170lbs

Swiss Bar Bench Press: 1x12, 1x10 115lbs (too much weight, was intended to be 2 sets of 15)

Chin-ups: 25 reps forgot to time (Rep breakdown: 12, 5, 3, 2, 2, 1)

DE LB Tomorrow

Been really busy this week. Trying to recall everything I did this week,

DE LB 11/16/2010 3:20-4:10
Box Jumps: 2x3, 1x2 warm-ups 6x1 about 40 inches

Barbell Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x10 95lbs

Stiff-Leg Deadlift: 3x10 185lbs (I always have done stiff-leg. i just usually call them RDL’s)

Out of time to do core.

RE UB 11/18/10 3:30-4:20
Swiss Bar Bench Press: 3xmax reps 17, 21, 20

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x10 70lbs

Lateral Raises: 3x10 15lbs

Chin-ups: 4x6

Reverse Dumbbell Fly: 3x10 15lbs (I think thats what its called. Activates the rear deltoids.)

Out of time to do biceps, triceps, and forearms.

ME UB tomorrow. ME LB Sunday. Diets getting cleaner. I’ve gained a little weight and my abs are starting to show better so I don’t think its fat. Good stuff.

I have two or three protein shakes per day. 2 Scoops Metabolic Drive with milk for breakfast (although I have started having my shake after eating a whole food breakfast first), and 40 grams of protein in water for post-workout and before bed. So on days I work out, I’m getting around 120g protein and around 700 calories just from shakes. Just get some fruits, veggies, and nuts consistently and I’ll be doing pretty good me thinks.

Didn’t lift. Went to a dry rave instead. Legs dead. Gonna call it cardio. UB tomorrow, unless my legs feel good, which is doubtful. Thanksgiving break starts Tuesday afternoon. Good stuff.

Edit: “Dry” meaning no alcohol or drugs allowed. Just a bunch of high schoolers having a good time.

Solid Upper Body session today.

ME UB 11/21/10 6:20-7:30
Bench Press: 5x5 65, 95, 115, 135, 155, 1x6 175lbs

Swiss Bar Bench Press: 2x20 105lbs (only 15 reps second set. arms died)

Croc Rows: 2x20 70lbs

Face-Pulls: 4x10

Chin-ups: 3x10 w/two orange bands
Lateral Raise: 4x15 10lbs (did 1 set before started superset)

Bicep Curls: 3x10 70lbs (lots of kipping. arms pretty shot from chin-ups)
Tricep Extensions: 3x20 purple band

Rice Digs: 3x60s w/ 30s hold, 30seconds rest

Diet is cleaning up nicely. Just need ot keep it up. The future is looking bright.

Missed my DE LB session Tuesday but was able to push it to Wednesday. Did RE UB today.

DE LB 11/24/2010 2:30-3:35
Vertical Jumps: 5x3 around 25-26 inches

Barbell Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x10 95lbs w/extra ROM

Romanian Deadlift: 3x10 185lbs (decreased the ROM cuz i think i was curving my lower back)

Lying Leg Raise: 3x15

RE UB 11/25/2010 7:00-8:10
Swiss Bar Press: 3xmax reps 20, 20, 20 105lbs

One-arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x10 70lbs

Lateral Raise: 3x15 10lbs

Chin-ups: 5x5

Face-pulls: 4x10

Bicep Curls: 3x10 70lbs (alot of kipping)

Hammer Curls: 3x12 45lbs (very strict form)

Rice Digs: 3x60s w/30s hold, 30s rest

ME LB Saturday. Gonna switch back to a bilateral primary movement, rather than using unilateral as I have been. ME UB Sunday. If I feel good, I’m gonna go for 185lbs for 5 reps, a new PR I believe.

legs were still sore and my upper body felt good so i did ME UB today instead of tomorrow.

ME UB 11/27/2010 4:45-6:10
Bench Press 5x5 65, 95, 115, 135, 155 1x4 185lbs (missed 5th) 1x1 185lbs

Dumbbell Press: 2x15 50lbs Dumbbells

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x10 70lbs

Lateral Raises: 4x15

Chin-ups: 4x6 (excessive kipping on 4th set)

Bicep Curls: 3x10 70lbs (more kipping than I’d like)

Hammer Curls: 3x12
Tricep Extensions: 3x20 purple bands

Rice Digs: 4x60s w/30s hold, 30s rest

I know I had that 5th rep in me. I know I should have had it. I just lost it. I caught my breath after missing and banged out a final rep to get my fifth. I want 200lbs x 5 reps for Christmas. Entirely possible. Actually, its gonna be EASY.
ME LB tomorrow. RE UB Tuesday with tee work beforehand. DE LB Thursday after tee work. Then ME UB Saturday. Gonna get 190lbs for 5 reps.

ME LB 11/28/2010
(Inside 6:20-7:35)
Front Squat: 7x5 95, 135, 155, 185, 205, 225, 245 (about an inch or two above parallel)

Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x8 115lbs (lil too much weight)

Romanian Deadlifts: 3x8 205lbs

Ab-Wheel Rollout: 3x10

(Outside 7:40-8:15)
With a 6lb Medicine ball:

Medicine Ball Toss: 3x10 each side

Sledgehammers: 3x10 each side

Overhead Toss: 3x10

Sprinter Sit-ups: 3x20

Inside lifting took a little bit longer than anticipated because I was recording a couple sets to review form.
About two hours of working out. If it hadn’t been so cold outside, it would qualify as awesome. So I’ll just say that it was good.

Solid session today.

RE UB 11/30/2010 8:20-9:20
Swiss Bar Press: 3xmax reps 115lbs 15, 15, 20

Dumbbell Rows: 3x10 70lbs

Lateral Raises: 4x15

Chin-ups: 4x6

Bicep Curls: 3x10 70lbs (significantly less kipping than usual)

Hammer Curls: 3x15 45lbs

Rice Digs: 3x60s w/30s hold, 30s rest

Off day tomorrow. DE LB Thursday