control problems

when i pitch my pitches seem to go to the top right corner most of the time how can i fix it

Seems like you’re releasing the ball early. Maybe your plant foot hits early and that messes your timing up - perhaps you release when you foot hits the mound? Listen to jd, Steven, or Roger especially though…

Assuming you’re a RHP, it sounds like you have a timing problem whereby you’re opening up early. Identifying the cause will take seeing some video. But common causes are glove instability, postural problems, and indequate momentum.

well jpeavy lets say i do release the when my foot hits the ground (stil not sure planning on makin vid for u to c…was goig to today but its raining)is that a problem and wat can i do to fix it if thats my problem

Try working with someone on your timing, maybe (and I say maybe) lengthen your stride if you’re comfortable with it. Other than that just try to get out of bad habits and into good ones concerning release time.

Also listen to what Roger said.

EDIT/ADD: Get a vid up a-sap.

It would help if we had a video. Are you dropping your elbow and pushing the ball? Your elbow should be just above your throwing shoulder and your throwing shoulder should be just above your non throwing shoulder.

If you can get a good catcher to work with, have him catch for you and watch you carefully—very often the catcher can spot the problem and give you some idea of what you can do about it.
And here’s something. When I was a little snip (12-13 years old) I used to do this drill. I would get a catcher, and we would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate 60’6" apart with chalk if we were working on flat ground (or, if we had access to a playing field, we had a home plate and a mound to work with). I would have the catcher position his mitt high, low, inside, outside, wherever—even in the middle of the plate, just for practice—and what I did was concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. What a satisfying feeling it was to hear that THWACK as the ball hit the pocket. I would do this with all the pitches I had, and even after I acquired some more I would continue to practice in this way. It’s a lot of fun and an excellent means of sharpening up one’s control.
And it didn’t hurt that I was a natural sidearmer who could keep the ball down in the strike zone. 8) :slight_smile:

Missing up and right is almost always a front side issue in my experience. Usually being conscious of your glove arm action for awhile in your training will correct it but if its a habitual problem it may go further into your mechanics, like timing, hip rotation, stride orientation.

Stabilize your glove arm first and if that doesn’t fix it look elsewhere.

(I’m not sure what your elbow relative to shoulders would have to do with consistently missing up and right, Topvelocity could you please explain? You have alot of great information and your site is pretty solid, but I don’t agree with your “pushing” belief. Also, could you please show me at what point Randy Johnson gets his elbow above his throwing shoulder?)

[quote=“Zita Carno”]If you can get a good catcher to work with, have him catch for you and watch you carefully—very often the catcher can spot the problem and give you some idea of what you can do about it.
And here’s something. When I was a little snip (12-13 years old) I used to do this drill. I would get a catcher, and we would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate 60’6" apart with chalk if we were working on flat ground (or, if we had access to a playing field, we had a home plate and a mound to work with). I would have the catcher position his mitt high, low, inside, outside, wherever—even in the middle of the plate, just for practice—and what I did was concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. What a satisfying feeling it was to hear that THWACK as the ball hit the pocket. I would do this with all the pitches I had, and even after I acquired some more I would continue to practice in this way. It’s a lot of fun and an excellent means of sharpening up one’s control.
And it didn’t hurt that I was a natural sidearmer who could keep the ball down in the strike zone. 8) :)[/quote]

well i have can never get to pitch 2 soemone cause… i have no one to pitch 2 my dad is 2 busy and mt brother is 2 young

ahh someone on this site just helped me with this. I was stepping across my body which locked up my hips which made me release the ball too early. Try stepping straight out ( or a little to your left if your a RHP)