Control or movement?

I’ve found that when I throw from a low 3/4 arm slot I get good movement but little control and when I throw from a high 3/4 arm slot I have very good control but little movement. Witch is more important?

Movements nice but it depends on how much time you have to adjust and work on control. Also depends on your velocity, mechanics and which is really better we don’t know your control or movement for either arm slots. Hard for us to tell.

Well control is important. So if movement. But i would go with the arm slot that has more movement because IMO its easier to learn control then movement. So you still can can control.

x2

Also, when you say you have no control, do you mean your just plain wild and have no clue where the ball is going, or are you just not adjusted to the increase in movement, and don’t know where to “start” balls so they end up where you want them? If its the former, I would say say stick with the better control armslot and work on doctoring your fastball until you can get some good armside run, and if its the latter just work hard in your bullpens and games to make adjustments based on movement. For example, Brandon Webb walked like over a guy an inning until he realised that he had to aim for the batters hip if he wanted it to end up a strike.

cinci,

I have a slightly different answer than you are looking for.

You mentioned that you get one type of result with one arm-slot and a different result when you change your arm-slot. That is not surprising, and I doubt that you have real mastery over either arm-slot that you mentioned.

In my opinion, you should determine what your ‘natural’ arm-slot is–that is, the one you use when you are simply fielding ground balls and not thinking about ‘arm-slot’. Then, you should optimize your pitching mechanics around that arm-slot.

Most MLB pitchers strive for mechanics that give them a highly repeatable delivery with a single and highly consistent release point for all of their pitches. Only about 2% of current MLB pitchers show clear evidence of being able to control two greatly different arm-slots/release points. Beneath the MLB level I’d guess the percentage of guys who can really command two different arm-slots goes further down.

It is easy to talk about changing your arm-slot (hopefully you realize that this entails leaning your entire torso differently between pitches, and not simply raising or lowering your arm) but…in reality it is already difficult enough to achieve mastery over your pitching mechanics with just one arm-slot. Do you really want to spread yourself thin by fiddling around with more than one?

Deciding on the spur of the moment to change arm-slots is a dead-end approach to learning pitching, in my opinion.

Instead, work on the things that matter in your delivery.

Why not both? I agree with LA that your natural armslot is the most important factor, however I believe that being able to control your pitch including movement on the pitch makes you a more dynamic and dangerous pitcher. As you graduate to higher levels of play, a straight anything will get driven to the gap, to the fence, or to the hotdog stand. Work on your control of the movement pitches, learning where to throw a pitch to have it end up where you want it…in the catchers mitt and not in the stands. I believe it is easier to learn control than to learn movement, but either way you need to throw it where you want it and not just somewhere around the plate.

Hose

I would rather learn control first then movement.