Control issues

I need help.I’m trying to pitch for my high school. But I just can’t find control. I mean back in the summer I had my strike zone set up from 60 feet maybe more or less. It was either strike or nibbling on the corners I was aiming good But now it’s just bad. I’ve been throwing balls all over the place. Im either throwing balls in the dirt, backstop or hit batter. It could be that I can’t pitch in the same zone from before cause it’s blocked. But that still means I should have the same control. What is it. I’ve been learning to pitch since winter time last year. My velocity is between 60-80. I don’t have a radar gun so I can’t be accurate. But apparently when I throw the ball to my friends or parents they say damn cause their palm hurts when they recieve it my friend’s hand was red. But they’re not using the regular catcher glove an infielder glove. But I’m 16 and I could care leess how fast I throw. I want to know how I can help stay in the strike zone. If your wondering about my mechanics think of roy halladay but low 3/4 to sidearm. I will get video footage of me pitching

Control. Location. Being able to put the ball where you want it to go. That is the most important thing. Someone, I forget who, once said that “power without control is nothing”, and that is so true—no matter what your velocity, if you’re all over the place it won’t do you any good. Let me tell you about something I used to do when I was a little snip—and which I continued to do all through my playing days.
I would get a catcher, and either he would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate with chalk, or if we could get to an unused playing field I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate (with, of course, the “tools of ignorance”). The latter, of course, was preferable, because chalk marks are all too easily scuffed into oblivion, And then we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, the purpose of which was to sharpen my control. The catcher would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, on the corners, every which way but standing on his head :lol: , and my job was to hit those spots. It was an intense workout and a lot of fun, and imagine my exhilaration when the ball hit the pocket of the mitt with a resounding “THWACK!” We would go at this for an hour at a time, a couple of days a week, and believe me, there’s nothing like it for getting one’s control under control! I would take the opportunity to work on one pitch or another in the process, and being a sidearmer I would work on my crossfire—a move which works only with the sidearm delivery and which I used almost all the time. Try it. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you’ll get your stuff in hand. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

I absolutly agree with you. You can throw 113 but if you can’t aim what’s the point? Cliff lee throws strikes he only threw 13 walks this season. That’s amazing. Not saying I want to be one, I want to keep walks own. You loss me at what you would do. I can try it but I just want a better explanation. and also crosshair too. Like I’m trying to understand what your saying but I"m loss. Also the pitches I throw is two seam,four seam, cutter/slider and changeup. Only thing I don’t have control is my 4 seam and two seam. Everytihng else is fine. So explain the practice you do better. I really want to know what you do so I can try it. Also how fast do you think I"m throwing if I"m making a person’s hand red with an infield glove from 60 feet.Thx. Oh and plz tell me your joking about the standing on the top of his head.

Okay. Here, in a nutshell, is an explanation of the crossfire. This is a move which works only with the sidearm delivery, and here’s how it works. Say you’re a righthander. You go into your windup, or the stretch, whichever—but then you take a step toward third base, whip around and deliver the pitch from that angle. This move has been around for a long time; the first I heard of it was when Ewell Blackwell was pitching, and he used it almost all the time. It will work with any pitch. (For a southpaw, the step is toward first base, of course.) I picked it up when I was about thirteen, and I used it for more than two decades with great success.
Of course I was kidding about the catcher standing on his head. The point is that wherever the mitt is positioned, you work on hitting the pocket. You actually want to throw the ball THROUGH the mitt, and of course you want to make sure that the catcher’s mitt has the proper padding so his hand wouldn’t turn the color of a boiled lobster! You probably don’t remember the old days when the players did not use mitts and gloves, but when a pitcher threw a fast ball the result was definitely ouch city. In any event, the key is practice and more practice; control does not come overnight—but if you stick with it you’ll get it. 8)