Control issue

before i changed my motion i would always stride to the first base side of the plate [right handed] causing the ball to ride up and in on the batter [hitting him] and sometimes going BEHIND him

so i would always try and throw away from the batter which would get the ball in the middle

now that ive re-built my motion i throw much more accurate

but i tried to not hit the batter so much its become a habit.

now i throw outside for a ball lots of the time cause im scared of hitting him.

how can i fix this?

There are plenty of ways to work on control. Many problems tend to be mental and many are mechanical. Yours seems to be more mental and you need to be calm down and not worry about hitting the batter. You got to get into a mental state where the batter doesn’t bother you and you are not afraid to brush him off the plate or throw one inside

Some kids practice pitching to targets and stuff and when they are in a game they do worse because they have a problem pitching with a batter. What you could do is if you do pitch to a target is set up a blow up or a card board batter to practice pitching to until you feel your control against batters is better and you do not worry about hitting them anymore.

When I throw a breaking ball I sometime aim at the batters elbow or arm to have it break into the strikezone what you need to do is just not worry about the batter. He is the enemy and don’t let him scare you, if you hit him, you ht him, its not the end of the world.

i’m by no way a power guy and i certainly can’t blow away batters. add to that the fact that i used to be scared about hitting batters and you get someone who gets cut from senior A-ball. i used to throw to the batter trying to make a pitch he couldn’t hit instead of pitching to the catcher trying to make a pitch he would only have to close the mitt on. since i mentally changed i still can’t blow people away but i sure can make pitches in tight and i don’t give a flying duck about hitting them. that helps me being succesful

[quote=“Pheen”]before i changed my motion i would always stride to the first base side of the plate [right handed] causing the ball to ride up and in on the batter [hitting him] and sometimes going BEHIND him

so i would always try and throw away from the batter which would get the ball in the middle

now that ive re-built my motion i throw much more accurate

but i tried to not hit the batter so much its become a habit.

now i throw outside for a ball lots of the time cause im scared of hitting him.

how can i fix this?[/quote]

I had the same problem when I was a kid. My dad fixed it the hard way. He stood in the batters box and had me throw at him. The first few missed badly, in the dirt and mostly outside. when I did manage to come in, it was obviously slower and my motion was unnatural. He scolded me and told me to plunk him. Dirt ball. He warned me that I wouldn’t be pitching when the season started if I didn’t hit him . Dirtball. Finally, he told me I would be grounded for the next week if I didn’t hit him. I plunked him with a 45 MPH “fastball”. He laughed. So I threw harder. When I hit him again, he laughed again. “What’s that weenie throw? Do ya think I’m a weenie, too?” So I reared back and hummed one, hitting him in the buttocks. He stopped laughing, and after rubbing for a few moments, he smiled, rubbing his butt. “THAT’S what you need to be WILLING to do,” he said.

So just find a friend or a dad willing to take your heater off the bean or butt and you’ll be cured! :smiley:

Seriously, you really have to decide to throw inside and then just do it. There aren’t any drills that will remove your fear of hitting the batter. Its up to you to convince yourself that hitting batters is part of the game, and it happens all the time. It’s the batters responsibility to get out of the way of the pitch. You know all this already, so this won’t help much if at all, but it is true nonetheless.

Good luck, and throw hard.

Have your catcher set up inside everytime. A good pitcher should never be afraid of hitting someone now and again. That’s the danger of an inside fastball. Every pitcher has to deal with it. Don’t be afraid to hit a batter…its the batters fault if he cant get out of the way in time. Just throw inside kid. And dont think so much.

I used to have this same problem. Whenever my brother wanted to hit I always had trouble pitching to him. I was scared of hitting him and either him getting hurt or him charging at me, heh. I just couldn’t find control. I had great control throwing to him while he caught for me, but I just couldn’t throw to him (him standing in batter’s box and no catcher). I thought that if I couldn’t throw to him, somebody who knew my pitches, I couldn’t throw to anyone.

This past weekend I pitched in a game for the first time in a while. I was worried as hell that I was going to be wild and hit somebody and not make it through the inning. To my surprise I had the same control I did during warm up. I didn’t even come close to beaning somebody.

For me, all I had to do was put all of my focus on my catcher’s mitt. I think that helped me the most. Also, I just kept a positive attitude in my mind and focused on throwing strikes. And I guess it helps that I didn’t know anyone on the opposing team.

Hope this helps.

Seriously it is the batter’s problem if he gets hit. So you should just pitch how you normally would and not worry about hitting the batter.

call me evil for this, but I really, really, really don’t give a flying F*** if i hit a batter. Don’t let the batter win over you, be tougher than him, I don’t care if I get hit. I’ve aimed at a kid once last year who kept showing bunt then pulling back to hit it. Or once last year I was playing Midget AA as a first year bantam, because we didnt have enough bantams or midgets, and I got knocked around, team wasnt very good and a kid from a city team told me he’d hit me outta the park next time, I hit him too. Then when he was on base he stuck his tounge out and taunted me, and i ran him down and beat him to 1st. Stupid fat catcher from Red Deer. The thing is if you’re worried about hitting someone you’ll never go anywhere. If you can hit a guy and stay composed and show no emotion, chances are the next batter will be afraid of you and intimidated. Or if you’re crazy and you come close to hitting someone just smile at the kid.

Yea, mostly it’s mental. I never really had this problem in the first place, but I further solved it with a method I use before every game. I listen to a bunch of heavy death metal, get myself all hyped up, and tell myself “I’m going to f*** that stupid son of a b**** up every f****** time he comes to the plate because I f****** own his stupid cocky a**. I’m gonna throw inside to get him off the godd*** plate, and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna nail him in his f****** ugly a** face, so hard that his f****** csucking b* grandma is gonna get her f****** senile old a** nose busted the f*** up”

The team I’m facing might be a nice team, with kids I know on it. The point is that you have to make the team your facing an enemy, and hate them so bad that you look forward to every time you throw inside so you can knock them down and make them look pitiful. Model yourself after Roger Clemens, he turns every game he pitches into a war against the other team, and he will do anything to win.