Continued Improvement

Just to update everyone about my son’s latest pitching: he pitched on Saturday against a very strong squad (unbeaten and made up of many varsity boys), and held them to 3 singles through six innings. Our team held the lead into the 6th (3-2) but errors finally prevailed. Next guy came in and got hammered - we eventually lost 8-4 :frowning:

Anyway, my son pitched well. Does continue to leave it up at times, and a funny thing is starting to develop: he is now throwing the curve with more confidence than his changeup. His changeup has been his best offspeed pitch until recently. The last couple of times he’s thrown it - it got hit. He is growing a bit nervous about using it. I think the issue is that most of the boys are behind his fastball and his changeup seems to be the right speed for them to hit. Any comments?

We’ve gone to the circle change this year and does not seem to be as effective as straight change (almost a palm ball) was. The circle has great movement, but he cannot quite command location just yet.

[quote=“shermanreed”]I think the issue is that most of the boys are behind his fastball and his changeup seems to be the right speed for them to hit. Any comments?[/quote]Sherman. You’re right. If they’re late on his fastball, a changeup will only do them a favour. Be very careful of that situation. If a kid is pulling his best fastball foul, a changeup or another off-speed pitch may just work. My son had just that happen in a tournament 2 years ago. Kid pulled him over the fence foul. He came back with a very nice curveball that this very good hitter completely missed for strike 3.

No guarantees of course but you’re instincts sound right.