Contacting a pro scout

I would like to get in touch with a pro baseball scout to discuss my son who is a pitcher for the Ashland Eagles.

How can I find a list of scouts in Ohio?

I don’t know about a list but I can start you off with a couple names:

Ed Santa, Colorado Rockies
contact info
crsanta@aol.com

Santa signed Aaron Cook, Rockies out of Hamilton, Ohio

About Santa HS Baseball Web Posted:

[quote]The Hack Shack Baseball Training Center located in Slippery Rock,Pa: the following Professional Baseball Clinics:

Pitching - Jan 3rd - Matt Bimeal, Pirates;
Infield / Outfield - Jan 17th - Brian Hopkins, Cardinals;
Catchers - Feb 14th - Ed Santa, Rockies.

Contact # 724-406-0070[/quote]

Info obtained from Pennlive.com

That’s a start.

Good Luck

[quote=“AUEagle16”]I would like to get in touch with a pro baseball scout to discuss my son who is a pitcher for the Ashland Eagles.

How can I find a list of scouts in Ohio?[/quote]

Why do you want to do this? Have scouts contacted you?

Im gonna take a wild guess Chris and say that he wants to try and get his kid noticed…?

That may be, but contacting pro scouts directly is not the way the process works.

I knew somehow this was going to end up like this.

Chris, it might be beneficial to explain how “the process” works. I presented a name that I know is in his area and does alot of clinics.
Everyone agrees that being where the scouts are is how you get exposure. I admit, the first thing I thought was, “Why aren’t the college coaches a resource for this player?” But I also know that if a scout is actively traveling to see players then his contact information is out there and he is probably used to fielding questions and pointing players in the right direction. My son has returned some calls to a few scouts and his pitching coach has contacted them as has his high school coach. Your point is probably that someone from the college team staff should be contacting scouts to get them to see this kid. Or he should go to a professional tryout or showcase. If so, I agree.

[quote=“Dino”]Chris, it might be beneficial to explain how “the process” works. I presented a name that I know is in his area and does alot of clinics.
Everyone agrees that being where the scouts are is how you get exposure. I admit, the first thing I thought was, “Why aren’t the college coaches a resource for this player?” But I also know that if a scout is actively traveling to see players then his contact information is out there and he is probably used to fielding questions and pointing players in the right direction. My son has returned some calls to a few scouts and his pitching coach has contacted them as has his high school coach. Your point is probably that someone from the college team staff should be contacting scouts to get them to see this kid. Or he should go to a professional tryout or showcase. If so, I agree.[/quote]

While it’s important (or at least valuable) to sell yourself when trying to get noticed by colleges, pro scouts generally operate on a “Don’t call us, we’ll call you basis.”

IOW, college is a bit of a seller’s market (especially at the lower levels) while the pro game is much more of, if not entirely, a buyer’s market.

Pro scouts have networks of people, including coaches and others, who bird dog for them and who tell them who they should check out and who is actually good.

The only way to get noticed by them is to BE VERY good. A bird dog generally isn’t going to push a second-rate guy because he knows that will hurt his credibility with the scout he works for (with rare political exceptions like Mike Piazza). A scout also isn’t going to listen to a parent, or even a random coach, because they know that they are likely to be biased.

I do agree that going to tryouts and showcases can help you get noticed, but the odds are long and again you simply have to BE VERY good.

He said pro scout not affiliated scout, so that would include the independent teams since independent is still professional baseball.

Independent is largely about contacting them and not the other way around.

[quote=“TheOleOneBall”]He said pro scout not affiliated scout, so that would include the independent teams since independent is still professional baseball.

Independent is largely about contacting them and not the other way around.[/quote]

The independents are really more about open try-outs.

I assumed he was talking about affiliated pro scouts.

Or go to the camps they sometimes put on.

At a minimum, you may catch his eye and he’ll send sometime to watch you.

AU Eagle16,

I can’t speak for every scout, but I know that most scouts like to help and point players to the right direction (whether that’s college or the pro game). That said, cold-calling a scout is probably not the best way to go in terms of getting noticed. I personally don’t mind trying to help in any way.

However, a parent asking me to “come check out my kid” won’t really work (unless I know the kid and dad or whatever…you know what I mean).

If your kid has yet to be noticed by scouts, odds are that, if he’s good enough, he will get noticed at some point. In order to increase his exposure, some good ideas have been expressed here (camps, private lessons, etc).

For example, I know a kid/parent that I have given several lessons to in the past who is now getting to the point where he is choosing a college and he’ll start getting attention from scouts. This kid is also good enough to get drafted (if things progress the way they should) and I consider them personal friends where, more than anything, I’d just like for them (kid and dad) to be happy with whichever road they choose.

My point is that this is the way I’ve gotten to know this particular kid is through several private lessons. That may be the best bet if the scout or a bird dog gives lessons in the offseason (many do). If he’s good enough, he’ll go see him in game situations in the spring.

Best of luck…

I had a conversation with a New England Area scout one day after a scout day at my school.

I said to him “When do you make time to make it up to Maine to see those guys play”

His reply “I don’t go to the Maine guys, I let them come to me”

I was confused so i asked him what he meant.

He told me that if someone from Maine is good enough everyone will know about him i.e. Mark Rogers 5th pick of the 04 draft. or Ryan Flaherty Vanderbilt SS 1st round pick last years draft.

He also said that an area like that goes unnoticed so it is up to the individual to be proactive about getting himself exposure. Tryouts, moving south, etc.

So my point being theres a whole lot more to it then just “being good enough to get noticed” because there are guys out there in the corners of the hick towns that are good enough, they just arnt seen enough.

Yes, but that doesn’t include contacting scouts directly.

Chris you are incorrect.

A scout just responded by saying that Chris is correct.

As Palo, who is QUITE familiar with the process, said, CBW is a scout and as he said…

However, a parent asking me to “come check out my kid” won’t really work (unless I know the kid and dad or whatever…you know what I mean).

The issue is that EVERY parent thinks their kid is the greatest player in the world. As a result, neither scouts, nor college coaches, nor HS coaches, nor LL coaches, trusts their opinion.

Also, I have done bird dogging and more and there’s NO WAY I’d run a kid’s name up the chain based solely on what a parent told me.

“there’s NO WAY I’d run a kid’s name up the chain based solely on what a parent told me”

Duh…it’s your profession and credability at stake.

However. if you happend to be in the area on one of the days when the can’t miss kid turns out to be a dog - which by the way, is most of the time … many scouts might stop by and take a peek if in the area .

This is the beauty of scouting…looking for a shortstop and finding a pitcher…happens all the time.

[quote=“terprhp”]“there’s NO WAY I’d run a kid’s name up the chain based solely on what a parent told me”

However. if you happend to be in the area on one of the days when the can’t miss kid turns out to be a dog - which by the way, is most of the time … many scouts might stop by and take a peek if in the area .

This is the beauty of scouting…looking for a shortstop and finding a pitcher…happens all the time.[/quote]

Agreed.

One of the best ways to get noticed is to play against a team that has one or more prospects.

In most cases, scouts will take a look at non-target guys for an inning or two (e.g. they’ll gun both pitchers for at least an inning) just in case someone’s been overlooked.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“terprhp”]“there’s NO WAY I’d run a kid’s name up the chain based solely on what a parent told me”

This is the beauty of scouting…looking for a shortstop and finding a pitcher…happens all the time.[/quote]

Agreed.

One of the best ways to get noticed is to play against a team that has one or more prospects.

In most cases, scouts will take a look at non-target guys for an inning or two (e.g. they’ll gun both pitchers for at least an inning) just in case someone’s been overlooked.[/quote]

For sure. The best way to get exposure is to move around.

I’ve had teammates who have played in the same collegiate summer league for 3 years. The same scouts saw him every summer because he was on the same team.

I’ve also had a teammate who has played in the NECBL, but got no attention, then the ACBL where he drew some attention from the mid atlantic scouts, then to the Northwoods where he was a small fish in a big pond and got no attention.

He went undrafted his jr. and sr. year, but signed with one of the mid atlantic scouts.

Chris is actually right on the money here guys.

Scouts will go to camps and showcases. Go to one of these showcases and light up the gun or standout in some way. They will notice, it’s their job. And if they want to keep their job, they will recommend the standout players. They will not like being contacted by a player or his dad.