Consider a Future in Coaching

Yesterday afternoon I walked to a field not that far from where I live and I saw a very young club – about 9 or 10 years old, going through their paces. All alone in the center of the infield was one coach trying to keep some sort of practice going.

I sat on the grass and sipped my coffee and it felt great to be out and watching this.

A ball came over and I picked it up and tossed it back to the coach, when he came over and said … “Coach?”

Many years ago I coached him during my offseason at his father’s warehouse. He was a high school senior at the time with a lot of potential and planned on going to the University of Maine to play ball – but his father’s illness kept him home running the family business.

He and I had a short conversation and he pointed to a youngster covering 3rd and told me that is his son. He then caught me totally by surprise and said he coaches these youngsters just like I coached him and how much he appreciated that time.

It was all I could do to keep myself composure. He then stopped the practice and brought all the youngsters over and introduced me. I was embarrassed at first, but that gave way to admiring a father and coach that had grown up and matured into a fine example of what this game is all about.

If any of you have the chance to coach – in any capacity, and you touch the life of anyone in a positive way, your rewards will be beyond your expectations.

I can no longer coach as actively as I use to. I miss the camaraderie and the interaction of those that go on to much bigger and better things – but, to experience what I experienced yesterday lives in the heart and soul of every baseball coach forever.

So, if you enjoy rewards of true spirit, sincerity, and the gratification of seeing your work live on in others –by all means coach. You won’t make a million$ – just an added value to your inner soul.

Coach B

Awesome!

Nice job, Coach B. You had an opportunity to make a difference and you didn’t waste it. Good for you. Says a lot.