Confused

I had a double header yesterday. 14u travel team. First travel games ever. I had only pitched in rec league. We were down 8-2. Coach had like no one else so he put me in. First batter I threw a strike, then another one, the another one. First K. I did this for another two batters with only 2 balls thrown that inning. That didn’t stop. 8 strikeouts, we won 8-9.

That may seem good but the thing is I don’t know how I did this.
I was known by my friends and teammates to be wild, and inaccurate. In practice I always missed the strike zone, but I don’t know what happened yesterday. Is it just a mind game? It was my first travel game and I did better than rec. Just wondering how I can keep this up

As strange as this may seem, it’s not all that usual.

Why?

Did you ever try something for the first time, after being shown how to do it, then to your surprise - and everyone else’s, do remarkably well?

When you have little or no experience with a situation, a condition and in a very different surrounding, a person has very little in the way of prior conditioning to lean on. Thus, your going purely by feel, without injecting a ton of impressions and a lot of guessing. So, with this change in environment and what you were - and did, do before, you had nothing more than “try”. And it worked rather well.

A Hall of Famer Yogi Berra was quoted one time as saying, something like… " How can a guy think and hit at the same time…" In essences, what Yogi was saying was … just play ball… don’t think about it…

In my opinion… I think you did what Yogi was suggesting. You just pitched.

That makes a lot more sense when you put it like that. When I was looking back I don’t remember thinking about anything but if the count was a strike or ball. Thanks for your help