Conflicting weightlifing and throwing

Is it possible to overload your workouts by lifting weights and throwing on the same day? What is a good schedule to incorporate your offseason strength and throwing program?

Well if you’re looking from experience, we have workouts at 6 a.m. on Tuesday, 10 p.m.-12 a.m. on Wednesdays, 6-8 p.m. on Fridays and 7-9 p.m. on Saturdays. I workout on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I feel very comfortable with that. So depending on how much you like to workout and how comfortable you feel the day after for throwing is entirely up to how your body can handle it. Mine has served me pretty well so far and we’ve pitched pens just about every one of those days. I haven’t experienced any problems so far. Everyone thinks that working out a lot though makes them look stronger and feel stronger. If you’re talking weight training though and not things like plyometrics, limit your workouts to 1 hour at the most with 2-3 workouts per body part max. After that 1 hour, your body stops reacting to whatever workouts you put it through. So working out more than an hour is basically pointless if you’re doing weight training and looking for mass. Not only that, but the really muscle building is done outside of the gym when you eat and rest.

If you are going to throw and lift on the same day, make sure you throw BEFORE you lift. Otherwise you will be fatigued and your mechanics will be sloppy.