Conflicting views on speed of motion

My 11U son throws from the stretch and has been very effective for his teams. He has a very quick motion. My husband believes this is important as he gets older in order to keep kids from stealing and because his most important pitches will be thrown from this position anyway. However, he has several different coaches as he is on a little league team, a traveling team and will attend a pitching clinic with the HS coaches. They always tell him to slow down and try to get him to incorporate a Karate Kid type pause. A video from a college pitching camp showed his hand and leg separtion was well timed. Should he slow down his motion?

Absolutely not. Tell him to keep on keepin’ on.

As Kyle stated, that pause is a poor teach by the coaches. Its an old school thought that unfortunately is still around.

I kept my son in the stretch til he was @ 13U. Many benefits in my opinion. Working from a wind up can create balance issues that may take away from the development of a young pitcher. As I believe your husband commented… kids at that age are working from the stretch a lot anyways. Lastly I felt my son developed a straight line & closed linear path to the target better than his peers… and I think working from the stretch encouraged that.

They’ll throw a few mphs harder w/ a wind up, minimal & insignificant at that age. For future long term development I love working from the stretch until they are fundamentally sound & balanced.

I strongly prefer kids to throw out of the stretch and never throw out of the windup.

Stay in the stretch defiantly it will help him when he’s older.

Individuals in different camps definately have their opinion about the subject and many are very adiment even if the individual is doing well with the style that he has. First, if the only reason to have the quick action is to keep runners from stealing then this isn’t really a solid reason, keeping runners from stealing has much more to do with move to first, timing, keeping the runner guessing…not necessarily speed to release. Most instructors teach a smooth action to the foot strike then develop lots of trunk action as the foot stike happens.

As for the windup and stretch, I have always taught both from early on and some guy use both and a few have opted for the stretch only.

Kinda what I am saying is you should stick with whatever is working, don’t fix it if it ain’t broken…even though “if your not moving forward you are moving back”, so what is going to be the next thing he needs to work on? Will it be windup, or a bit more of a balance point or maybe it’s accuracy, whatever it is he needs something to be working on all the time.

[quote=“12JTWilson”]As Kyle stated, that pause is a poor teach by the coaches. Its an old school thought that unfortunately is still around.

I kept my son in the stretch til he was @ 13U. Many benefits in my opinion. Working from a wind up can create balance issues that may take away from the development of a young pitcher. As I believe your husband commented… kids at that age are working from the stretch a lot anyways. Lastly I felt my son developed a straight line & closed linear path to the target better than his peers… and I think working from the stretch encouraged that.

They’ll throw a few mphs harder w/ a wind up, minimal & insignificant at that age. For future long term development I love working from the stretch until they are fundamentally sound & balanced.[/quote]

I wouldn’t be concerned about the theory that pitching from the windup increases velocity. It may or may not. I don’t know. There’s plenty of Major League relievers who throw 100 from the stretch. There’s some truth that it’s easier to hide the ball using a wind-up,which makes the pitch harder to see, but throwing strikes and consistency are more important at this age than hiding the ball and being inconsistent.

If your boy doesn’t have any focus or accuracy problems being quick in delivery and also, always throwing from the stretch, LEAVE him be (in my opinion). Not only, should this work to his advantage with the batter, it also speeds up the game and in my opinion will keep his fielders sharp and alert. For what it is worth if he were one of my players not only would I not change either issue, I would applaud it.

Pitch from the stretch when learning, or changing mechanics. Once you are set when that it then a full wind up is good for speed and accuracy. Also the type of mechanics is important. If he is doing a Lincecum type, a pause is more difficult to use. But a more upright pitcher , I like the pause for accuracy. Kershaw has 2 pauses. I like pauses especially for youth pitchers and so do the Japanese.