Conditioning for pitching

hey guys whats up.

i was wondering about the conditioning part of baseball. I am a baseball pitcher who is going to be 18 years old and i really want a good conditioning program.

Right now i have a perfect strength program. But last year i felt as if i was a little tired.

So ya when should i start the conditioning program in the offseason. And what exactly should i do?

Your strength program is not perfect. Very few people have perfect programs.

Anyway, conditioning for pitching is specific. Running long distances doesn’t significantly improve your ability to anaerobically produce power over long periods of time on the mound. The best conditioning for pitching is pitching itself. Bullpens, long toss, and throwing in general.

As for other stuff, interval training and high-intensity metabolic conditioning workouts transfer well to pitching.

But re-evaluate your “perfect strength program” and learn a bit more about exercise science before declaring yourself an expert.

well kyle is mister negative it seems.

i like to do sprints and ladders\suicides, or anything like that. helps keep the legs use to explosive movements. Make sure you work your core, if your back gets tired quickly you can’t pitch well for very long.

As mentioned by some of the other members, you shouldn’t be feeling tired; your workout should provide enough functionality and variability to prepare you for the rigors of pitching. What types of exercises are you doing?

well last year i did only rotator cuff exercises i really didn’t do that much. LOL. I did workout on my upper body with heavy weights for about august to about december but i stopped because i thought you don’t want to be strong with your upper body(BAD MISTAKE)… Anyways after that from january to may i just did rotator cuff. But ya:

My workout now is:

Upper body:

Barbell bench press(210lbs)
bicep curls(55lbs/hand)
Skull crushers/triceps (20lbs)
pushups(50/set)
dips(25)
forearm curls(45lbs/hand)
Forearm twists(55lbs/hand)

Lower body:

Squats(210lbs)
deadlift(210lbs)
calf raises(210lbs)
walking lunges(80lbs)

Plyometric exercises:

Squat jumps(body weight)
X drill(jump from 1 point to the next)
lateral jumps over object
front and back drills
Lateral jump squats

Core exercises:
Russian Ab twists(20)
wood chopppers(20)
Walking lunges and twists(16)
Ab twists(20)
Bicycle crunches(1min worth)
leg lifts(30)
Throw downs(medicine ball)

Workout schedule:

Monday: upper body and core
Tuesday: lower body and plyometric for legs
wednesday: upper body and core
thursday: lower body and plyometric for legs
friday: upper body and core
Saturday: lower body and plyometrics for legs
Sunday: Rest if i am really sore.

I follow this workout to a tee and even workout if i am sick sometimes. I am really focused into getting stronger. I think that last year i might have hit 90mph, my legs were really strong. But they weren’t as explosive as i wanted. And my core i really didn’t worry about that much.

So ya i am doing all of this. As of tommorrow is 2 weeks. So ya i am feeling great and i am really healthy. I am going to continue this for the next 6 months. And ya.
Should be good.
Please comment and give me some more exercises and tips for any of my workouts(upper, lower, plyometrics, or core)
Thanks

you seem to know exactly what you’re doing…good luck with everything

Pretty much my thoughts.

hey thanks guys.

One thing that i have heard of from people is that they like to do split workouts.

I was thinking that this might help me increase my overall strength quicker but i have a few things that bother me on this. Maybe you guys can help me:

I have heard people saying to do this

Monday: chest/back
Tuesday: biceps/legs
Wednesday: triceps/ shoulders

They said that you can do more exercises for each individual muscle group and focus on it more. As well as doing more sets.

One thing i don’t like is that if you are bench pressing for your chest one day then the next day you are doing your biceps. Well bench press does involve some bicep involvement. As well as your tricpes and shoulders it strengthens as well. So aren’t you overusing all your muscles.

This has always bugged me. but ya how do people do split workouts.

They were being sarcastic, in case you didn’t pick that up.

Seriously, do some research into how to actually program. Forget the body part splits and go with a 4 day upper/lower split. And ditch the bench.

Do you recommend push ups instead of bench press? Even if it is DB bench?

DB is fine. Just make sure you keep up your soft tissue and flexibility work too. You can switch things up with pushups some days because of the endless variation.

The important thing with the weight room for pitchers is making sure you don’t create imbalances or lose mobility.

what do you mean by imbalances.

Like if your chest is way bigger than your back muscles.

Or you biceps are bigger than your triceps.

Stuff like that.

When it comes to me. Everything is pretty much strong.

The only thing that isn’t that strong is my tricpes. But i am really working on those. Because last year my tricpes always were sore when i pitched. So ya. Other than that its good.

Also when you say 4 days upper/lower split.

What happens if i do 6 day upper/ lower split.

Monday, wednesday, friday- lower
tuesday, thursday, saturday-upper

Sunday- Rest.

I am a beast and where we live their isn’t much to do. so i keep my time busy by working out and focusing on baseball.

I am a beast and where we live their isn’t much to do. so i keep my time busy by working out and focusing on baseball.[/quote]

Sorry but that attitude might not be liked by college coaches. Be humble about your abilities. Even if you are a beast.

If you were a “beast,” you’d easily outlift me because I’m pretty weak (455# squat, 500# DL, 260# BP at BW 230#). Yet I’m pretty sure no one on this forum has my absolute totals beaten and I think no one is close on a relative basis (LankyLefty is close in the squat when adjusted for bodyweight).

My point is not to brag. It’s to give some perspective as to what you think “strong” really is. I wouldn’t say that I’m strong, but I have decent lift totals. The moment you think that you are “good” or “strong” or whatever is the moment you stop improving as quickly as you should be.

And so what if you’re “strong?” What good does it do you to be arrogant about being a “beast?” Nothing.

:becareful:

kyleb your flat out wrong.

450 plus squat is very adequate. Who are you comparing yourself too? Bodybuilders? if you are then your right you are weak.

But to other pitchers and baseball players that is impressive. Im gonna assume your not over 250 pounds so you can squat 200 pounds more then you weigh.

I’ve met many minor league pitchers and watched them worked out to get some tips and they squat 250-400 from pitcher to pitcher.

Also about your “record”. Not everyone on this site talks that much about this subject. I’m sure there is someone who can squat as much as you.

And about the workout program. Just work hard. I’ve always said its not about being perfect its just about getting started.

kyleb was not posting to whine about his squat number. He was merely using himself as an example of striving for more even when you are already pretty good. “Don’t let your good get in the way of your better” is a quote that comes to mind. Sure, a 450 squat is “adequate” as you put it (pretty damn impressive to me.) But that’s not the point; success lies in never stopping on the road to your goals, always pushing, always striving to get better. That’s my living philosophy.

baseballkid111, you seem like a kid that is passionate for the game, so I’m going to give it to you clear: you need to open your mind more and consider the opinions of people that have experience. Quite frankly, your lifting program is very unorganized and you are likely to get hurt. Research and READ through the forums; you can pretty much find all that you need there. Remember, compound movements, and forget the beach muscle workouts.

[quote=“7Steps”]kyleb was not posting to whine about his squat number. He was merely using himself as an example of striving for more even when you are already pretty good. “Don’t let your good get in the way of your better” is a quote that comes to mind. Sure, a 450 squat is “adequate” as you put it (pretty damn impressive to me.) But that’s not the point; success lies in never stopping on the road to your goals, always pushing, always striving to get better. That’s my living philosophy.

baseballkid111, you seem like a kid that is passionate for the game, so I’m going to give it to you clear: you need to open your mind more and consider the opinions of people that have experience. Quite frankly, your lifting program is very unorganized and you are likely to get hurt. Research and READ through the forums; you can pretty much find all that you need there. Remember, compound movements, and forget the beach muscle workouts.[/quote] :clapping:

baseballkid, you should squat more weight than you bench press. pitchers use their legs to throw not their pectoral muscles.

hey kyleb and lanky lefty i got a question for you.

Whats the highest calibre of ball you guys have played/ are playing for. Just a question. You guys as well as steven elis of course seem to know alot about baseball on here. So ya just wondering.