Complete Weekly Workout- Suggestions?

Hey guys, lately i have been trying to come up with two separate workouts for my upper and lower body. I haven’t included my separate plyo’s or med ball days since i think they are alright. I am looking for a replacement for my rows on the second upper body day. Any suggestions? Also any other thoughts you have would be appreciated. Tell me what you think. Thanks.
Lower #1
Squat 3x10- 200lbs

Lunges 3x10- 45lb DB’s+20lb Weighted Vest

Leg Extensions- 3x10 115lbs

Leg Curls- 3x10 95lbs

single leg RDL’s- 3x10 35lb DB’s

Figure 8’s w/axe and tire- 1 set for 1 minute

Skater Lunge- 1 set for 1 minute

Calf Raises- 2x10,20-one leg,both legs 20lb Weighted Vest

Plyo’s-first set done with weighted vest, second body weight

max vert leap w/med ball+Weighted Vest- 3x5
Tuck Jumps- 2x8
Side to Sides- 2x8
split Jumps-2x5

Upper #1
RC exercises- all 2x12 5lb DB’s
post delt
lateral raise
full can
anterior raise
external rotation
internal rotation

Row- 3x8 40lb DB’s

Overhead Swim on Swiss ball- 1x15

Push-ups- 3x8

reverse butterflies- 3x8 10lb DB’s

Upright Rows- 3x8 20lb DB’s

Reverse-Grip Pull-Ups- 3x6

Tricep Kickbacks- 3x8 20lb DB’s

Bicep Curls- 3x8 24lb DB’s

Wrist Curls- 3x10 25lb DB
Wrist Extensions- 3x10 10lb DB

Core:
Ab Rollouts- 2x5 (as far down as i can go)
Diagonal Crunch- 1x25
Scissors- 1x26
v-crunch- 1x25
side crunch- 1x25
crunches- 1x50
reverse supermans- 5x10sec hold

Lower #2
Split Squat- 3x10 130lbs

Backward Lunge- 3x10 35lb DB’s+ Weighted vest

Front Grip Single-Leg Squat- 2x10 80lbs

Deadlift- 3x10 140lbs(just started, so may be more)

Single Leg Supine Leg Curls- 3x8(working up to 3x12)

Glute-Ham Raise- 3x10

Calf Raises- 2x10,20(same as above)

Skater Lunge- do for minute(same as above)

Squat to Press w/med ball-1x20

Plyo’s-same as before

Upper#2
RC exercise-Same as before

Row- 3x8 40lb DB’s

Post Delt over Swiss Ball-1x15

Stabilize push-ups-2x5(hands are balancing on bar that is perpindicular to another bar)

Horizontal Row- 3x12 10lb DB’s

Shrugs- 3x8 35lb DB’s

Pull-Ups- 3x6

Prone Two Arm Extension- 3x8 25lb DB’s

Reverse Grip Bicep Curls- 3x8 35lbs+15lb bar

elbow circuit:
Forward
Backward
Inward
Outward

core:
90 degree parallels(held for time)
plank positions- facing ground,ceiling,right,left

I hope your joints are okay when your older

How did you go about coming up with this program? Why did you structure it the way you did, with higher reps?

The only upper body pressing you have in your program is 3 sets of 8 pushups on the first day and 2 sets of 5 pushups on the second upper body day.

If you can only row 40lbs, do 6 pullups and 8 pushups in a set, I’m not so sure you should be doing bicep curls, tricep kickbacks or any kind of isolation strength exercise for your upper body.

You need to stick to basic compound movements instead of adding in a bunch of isolation arm work.

Your lower body workouts are just a bunch of exercises thrown together. If you’re going to do deadlifts, start with them in your workout. They are the hardest exercise, so you need to be fresh for them. Then pick one unilateral lower body movement so either a split squat or a backwards lunge and go HARD on it. If you push yourself on split squats, you’re not gonna have much left over. The only way you could possibly get through your lower body day #2 is if you half-ass everything or don’t push yourself. There is far too much volume there for somebody lifting with proper intensity in a one hour training session.

Glute hams and single leg supine ham curls work similar muscles, so choose one of them to do.

There’s a lot more that I have to say about the program, but it looks remarkably similar to the workout posted in the beginning of my log. If that’s where you got it, now you’re starting to see why I don’t recommend people do that. I’ve learned a lot since then and that program did little for my overall strength.

First of all thanks for your time Lanky. I actually didn’t get it from your log though, but got some of it from Tuff-Cuff and did the rest myself. It usually takes two hours to complete it, so i can see cutting some things out. I can do more than 6 pull-ups and 8 push-ups in a set, but for my pullups i have to do 6 on the first set to get 6 on the last. Should i be doing each set on them until failure? And i have kind of laid off working out my chest b/c i used to go in the weight room and be one of the guys who just went to the bench and started pumping. What do you suggest i do? And i know i have the high reps, but i was working myself down to eventually doing 3x5.

On the lower body day 2. So maybe it should be more like this:
deadlift
split squat
single leg squat
single leg supine curls
skater lunges side to side
calf raises

Would that look good? I would start doing 3x6 on the sets and reps too. I would also make the day 1 look similar. What are your thoughts on this? And what should my upper body look like?

[quote=“beaver26”]First of all thanks for your time Lanky. I actually didn’t get it from your log though, but got some of it from Tuff-Cuff and did the rest myself. It usually takes two hours to complete it, so i can see cutting some things out. I can do more than 6 pull-ups and 8 push-ups in a set, but for my pullups i have to do 6 on the first set to get 6 on the last. Should i be doing each set on them until failure? And i have kind of laid off working out my chest b/c i used to go in the weight room and be one of the guys who just went to the bench and started pumping. What do you suggest i do? And i know i have the high reps, but i was working myself down to eventually doing 3x5.

On the lower body day 2. So maybe it should be more like this:
deadlift
split squat
single leg squat
single leg supine curls
calf raises

Would that look good? I would start doing 3x6 on the sets and reps too. I would also make the day 1 look similar. What are your thoughts on this? And what should my upper body look like?[/quote]

for some exercises it can be more effective to use lower reps depending on your goals and other it can be more effective to use higher reps.
Typically your main strength lifts would be lower reps and the assistance lifts would be higher reps. That way you’re getting strength work and hypertrophy work in the same training session.

Im not sure what your single squats look like. Pistol single leg squat? Speed skater single leg squat?

Regardless, I think this is still too much volume for a lower body day.

Deadlift (low-moderate reps)
Split Squat (moderate reps)
Single Leg Supine Curls (higher reps)
Calf Raises (higher reps)

For upper body I like this basic template (assuming a 1:1 push:pull ratio)

Push/Pull workout

Horizontal Push (low-moderate reps)
Horizontal Pull (moderate-high reps)

Vertical Push (moderate-high reps)
Vertical Pull (moderate-high reps)

Core Exercise

Forearms/Vanity/lagging bodypart work if you’re into that kind of thing. This includes a few sets of bicep curls for the bros out there, or high rep chinups for the people who need more back work to offset all the pressing, or forearm work (like farmer’s walks) for the majority of athletes out there

[quote]for some exercises it can be more effective to use lower reps depending on your goals and other it can be more effective to use higher reps.
Typically your main strength lifts would be lower reps and the assistance lifts would be higher reps. That way you’re getting strength work and hypertrophy work in the same training session.

Im not sure what your single squats look like. Pistol single leg squat? Speed skater single leg squat?

Regardless, I think this is still too much volume for a lower body day.

Deadlift (low-moderate reps)
Split Squat (moderate reps)
Single Leg Supine Curls (higher reps)
Calf Raises (higher reps)

For upper body I like this basic template (assuming a 1:1 push:pull ratio)

Push/Pull workout

Horizontal Push (low-moderate reps)
Horizontal Pull (moderate-high reps)

Vertical Push (moderate-high reps)
Vertical Pull (moderate-high reps)

Core Exercise

Forearms/Vanity/lagging bodypart work if you’re into that kind of thing. This includes a few sets of bicep curls for the bros out there, or high rep chinups for the people who need more back work to offset all the pressing, or forearm work (like farmer’s walks) for the majority of athletes out there[/quote]

So i have cut out the single leg squats because i think squats and split squats will be much better. Here is the exercises i did my last two workouts:
Deadlifts 3x5 210lbs

squats 3x5 245lbs

Lunges 3x8 54lbs+20lb WV

Leg Curls 3x5 110lbs (Want to cut these out. Don’t like what they do to lower back)

Single leg RDL’s 3x5 50lbs

calf raises

What do you think about that? Are there still too many exercises? I wil cut out the leg curls. And for my second day i would go with the one you suggested-deadlift (sumo stance), split squat, single leg supine curls, and calf raises.

And my upper looked like this:
rows 3x5 50lbs

single arm DB press 3x5 40lbs

pull-ups 3x10,6,5

shrugs 3x5 45lbs

some core work and different position holds.

I think there could be some changes to this. Like i kind of threw the shrugs in without a real purpose. What would be a good vertical push exercise? I’m thinking the pull-ups would be the vertical pull.

incline DB press, incline bench press, feet elevated pushups.

Ok, will probably go with the feet elevated push-ups since i am already doing single arm db press.