Common Sense thoughts to pitching injuries

I have a 3 part segment I placed on YouTube.
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It is a 3 part because of length.
Hope it is of the caliber to stimulate thoughts and interaction.

Fred,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, a coach of your stature rarely is accessable in this way, we really appreciate the time.
I have learned that though at the D-1 level steroids have been addressed, at the lower levels you see an epidemic of steroid use. The desperation factor for guys to “get there” is really saddening. I’ve also discovered that the ability to maintain conditioning is (for Pitching) perhaps the most key issue, particularly at the college level.
You speak of love and prep but what I’ve seen is though the kid really does love the sport, they have no idea of what they face in the college ranks…particularly in the lower levels where the chances are, a quality pitcher (D-1 quality with say, for example, a GPA that excluded him from D-1 immediate entry) is going to face over-use as a fact of life. What are your thoughts and I don’t even know how it could even be communicated except by forums like this, on how best to make kids in high school understand that the need to condition is, by necessity, demanded of them at a much higher degree, if they wish to advance into those college ranks?

Excellent stuff coach! Great points all around. Wish I could play for a coach like you. Just being real and telling it how it is.

I really enjoyed these videos. I couldn’t agree more, especially with this:

“Going with your heart and going with no limits produces the greatest result”

“I throw hard because I throw hard”. That’s beautiful.

My college coach once told one of our players who was in a horrible slump and, simply, beside himself…

“Son, when the balls comes over the plate, swing at it”.

NO FEAR.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Fred,
What are your thoughts and I don’t even know how it could even be communicated except by forums like this, on how best to make kids in high school understand that the need to condition is, by necessity, demanded of them at a much higher degree, if they wish to advance into those college ranks?[/quote]

I don’t know how to answer this in any other way than to have constant communication with your athletes. There are so many avenues via the internet and youtube to convey these thoughts. I spend a lot of time talking with my guys about “achieving personal greatness”. It is the aspect of coaching that I find myself consumed and addicted to.
Conditioning is an absolute. “Only the strong survive.” Show them videos on youtube of the wild kingdom and explain how the fast and better conditioned animals are still eating grass and in the distance “Carlos Content” is having his insides chewed on as his thoughts travel to the lighted tunnel of truth. “If I only had…”

Pull up David Goggins and express to your athletes that his endless pursuit to find his limits has led him to “No Limits”. His “easiest day was yesterday.”

Share with experiences of great ones you have spoken to. For Me, I have been blessed to be around athletes who have elevated their skills through hard work. Who share the common thought that “somewhere someone is working hard, I have work to do.” It’s a phobia.

Show them Google Earth and pick out your high school on the map. Zoom in and show them your location. Ask them about other great players in your league and district. Pan back and point them out. Now slowly pan back to the state and then the entire country and explain that those they are competing with (estimated 500,000) will be dwindle down to their hopes of college ball (estimated 50,000). What are you doing to make sure you are part of the 50,000? Like “Carlos Content” you don’t want to be heading to the light wonder what if…

You get one kid that understands this and you will begin your own “hotpocket”. Others will see the requirements to become great and the path will be familiar. The price of greatness is not cheap. No one has a head start. Someone cannot get there by outrunning time. Everyone is restricted by time. The question great ones or people who continue to advance continue to answer is “What am I doing with my time?”

JMO

Communication is the key, I just communicated something to you…something you already know…but reiterating it, brings energy back to it.
Your athletes need a daily reminder. The great ones don’t get tired of hearing it.

Hope this helps, it helped me. I am going to show my guys Google Earth.

That’s some great stuff, Fred.

I heard some of this stuff before - Hicklen told me. Read parts of my log & you can see the influence your former protege is having on today’s high school players.

Hicklen is my younger brother. It is no surprise to hear he is doing great with the high school players. He did great with me, as someone fortunate to have coached him, I learned alot in his presence. If you are in the Middle Tennessee area and you want to get better on the mound you need to seek him out. He gets it.