Coming out of off-season

whats a good program for hs, coming out of the off season and being a starting pitcher. as well as too build arm strength and velocity as well

A lot of this will depend on whether you took a month or more off altogether, or whether you continued to throw and otherwise do some light workout. The longer you took off the harder it will be to get back into the groove, especially if you’re a starting pitcher with all the responsibilities thereof. In that case, the best thing would be to start slow and easy and gradually ramp up the workout and the throwing. You don’t want to risk any injury.
On the other hand, there was David Cone. After the Yankees won the 1998 World Series they went on a pleasure cruise. On the second day out there was Cone on deck, playing some serious catch with a few of the guys. He had never stopped throwing, and it looked as if he were ready to go right then and there. And that brings me to a particular recommendation: throw every day. Many pitching coaches, including the incredible one I had many moons ago, have recommended this, because even just playing catch for fifteen or twenty minutes each day will help keep the arm loose and flexible—thus helping to avoid injury.

I lived in New York for many years, and you know how cold it can get in winter. So I would find a venue where I would not freeze my tush off—the high school gym, or an armory in Manhattan, or some such place where I and my catcher could set up and either just play catch or give me an opportunity to work on some aspect of mechanics or a new pitch I had latched on to. I don’t know what kind of climate it is where you are, but you certainly can do this. And whatever other workouts you usually do, you can start off easy and gradually work back up to your former level—again, all in the interests of avoiding injury.
One essential workout you must keep up with: something I call “The Secret”, which I learned those many moons ago from watching how the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation did it. They all drove off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches. This use of the lower half of the body is the real key to a pitcher’s power. Have you ever noticed that batters will focus on the upper half, the arm and shoulder, trying to spot a pitcher’s grip and thus figure out what they can get good wood on and blast out of the ballpark, across the street and into Aunt Minnie’s kitchen window? They don’t even think about the lower half, and that’s where we pitchers have the advantage, whether one is a rip-roarin’ fireballer or a finesse pitcher who outthinks and outfoxes the hitters.
In any event, that’s a good start, and you can take it from there. 8) :slight_smile: