Coming back?

Hey, I’m a 21 year old college student. I stopped playing baseball a few years ago but recently tried out for my team. I didn’t make it and at first I was fine with it; however, I have come to terms that it doesn’t sit well with me. I want to get back into pitching but I don’t know what I would do with it anymore. I feel that I dont have a reason or a goal to pitch anymore. Has anyone else crossed this hurdle yet? What did you end up doing? I guess I’m looking for some advice on what to do after your last chance feels like it has come and gone.

If you don’t have a reason or goal to pitch anymore and you miss it, then play just to play there’s tons of adult summer leagues out there.

Especially when you believe your last chance has come and gone; maybe that’s when the game gets back to being a game again.

Get a bunch of cardboard and a roll of duct tape. Make yourself
a boat large enough to sit in. Go to the beach and push it into
the water, then jump in. Paddle with your arms and hands – see
how far you get.

When your design is flawed from the outset, so will the results.

Your plan has to come from within - not from strangers.

Coach B.

Well said Coach B.

I really like the point that analogy drives home.

Thanks for the answers. I was a little concerned my post came off a little teenage-angst filled. I kept trying to reword it, but nothing seemed to work.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]Get a bunch of cardboard and a roll of duct tape. Make yourself a boat large enough to sit in. Go to the beach and push it into
the water, then jump in. Paddle with your arms and hands – see
how far you get.

When your design is flawed from the outset, so will the results.

Your plan has to come from within - not from strangers.

Coach B.[/quote]

Haha, that’s a good way to put it (and I also kind of want to try that now. Sounds like a fun project). However, I’m use to doing a bunch of research before I make my move. I was hoping to hear about what other people did after they finished competitive ball. Some seem to play adult leagues (sadly, all the older folks around here only want to do is play slow pitch softball to try to draw walks :? but I’m still looking for other leagues ) and some people move on to other stuff. I was kind of hoping to hear what that other stuff was and how it worked out for them. You know, just to learn from what other people have done and make my plan from there.

I guess the other part to it was that I felt a little cheated and wanted that one last hoorah. But like I said, my post seems a little angst filled already and I failed several times making it sound less whiny.

My comments were not meant to be sarcastic nor cold. I can understand the reasoning behind your question - a question that’s not all that unreasonable.

My remarks were kind of …“what’s best for you is, well… best for you.”

I’ve experienced countless fellas like yourself who have given this game a ride, trying to fit into someone’s life style and most of the time it doesn’t fly.

Where you live, how you live, your health, job or no job, all orbits a unique life style that’s yours and yours alone. See what fits you best today. Tomorrow is another story – maybe.

Your college career is the most important thing right now – not baseball. Your ability to make a living at what you’re studying and the grades that’ll follow will determine more of a quality of life than you realize. Go out and play some ball, hardball (baseball), with an absence from the game like you mentioned, and your possibly asking for trouble.

I witnessed something similar to your situation just last week, and the results were not good for those individuals. Happenstance and just plain out-of-the-blue bad luck, landed both players in the back of an ambulance. What’s in store for them in the aftermath of their experience is anyone’s guess.

Again, don’t take my remarks as being all that negative. Follow your gut feel, your inner voice, and what you know to be the right thing to do in your situation.

I sincerely wish you the best.

Coach B.

Thanks Coach Baker. I think my strong point if face-to-face conversations. I loved the cardboard boat comment, but I think I’m losing myself in my own writing. I’m attempting to state exactly what I’m asking without actually asking (with all the details), and it’s getting me into trouble. I really appreciate all the comments back and that you guys are giving up some of your time to answer me. And I’m sorry to hear it didn’t work out well for those guys. I am focusing on college, which is why I do not want to sacrifice senior year to making the team (I do firmly believe I have the talent to make the team, but unfortunate luck left me on the wrong side of a rain delay). I want to find a new source to devote some energy and I really do appreciate the comments. Thanks!

I am in a similar situation - 23, looking to play somewhere, etc.

I think you should decide what you want from the start. Shot at the pros, fun, college, etc.

Then you can connect with the right people, train, whatever.