Color Half The Baseball?

Hi,

I was reading some articles on the net and one of the articles said to color half the baseball. Why would you do this? What is the purpose of doing this? How would you color half of the baseball?

Thanks

You can do this to easily see the spin of the baseball for your various pitches. I have a few colored baseballs that I just used Sharpies on (be warned, you’ll destroy your markers doing so).

Why? So you can more clearly see the rotation of the ball, color one ball down the middle of the seams to see what sort of rotation your 2 seam and changeup. The color another one across the seams for your 4 seam, then use either one for curve balls and knuckleballs.

Why? Use it not only for pitching but also for hitting to recognize curve ball rotation vs fastball etc.

How? Sharpee and lots of time!!!

Do you have any pictures I can take a look at? I just want to make sure I do it right.

With a magic-marker, leave enough space around the seams, but darken the ball and let it dry for about an hour. The picture below will give you an idea.

For developing your breaking pitches, outline a finger and thumb pattern on a ball for different locations, like in the picture below.

For referencing any of your pitches, a double post drill is good. Take two posts and space colors from the top. Be sure to make the swab of each color wide enough so you can see them good. Drive one post in the ground about 15 feet from the mound, to you’re right if your RH, to the left if you’re LH. Take the second post and drive it in the groud about 15 feet from the plate, to the right of you if you’re RH, to the left if you’re LH.
The post closest to you can give you a good reference point for your release location and the post closest to the plate will give you a good reference for where that pitch is down range. Practice with a catcher who remains in one place. Concentrate on what each pitch is designed to do - hit the zone dead on, break down and away, etc. The picture below will give you some idea of the post locations and what the drill is suppose to look like with respect to post locations.

Once you become steady with your locations and what you expect your pitch to do, start selecting locations on your catcher as the next reference point(s). The picture below will give you an idea of what to look for.

As you progress with confidence, you’ll want to use these skills and pitch inventory for certain batters in the batting order, game situations and so forth. You’ll also have to work various points along the rubber to enhance the effectiveness and the “change” in the angle of attack of each pitch. This advance stage of holding down the pitcher’s position is beyond many amateur youngsters - but, I’ll give you a glimse into the challenges of pitching and sheet that I use to use for knowing what pitchers are best at what.
Below is a pitch sheet that tells me what a pitcher can do what, facing various spots in the order, in addition to the effectiveness of a pitcher’s inventory. This is NOT THE ONLY guide I used. But, it will give you an idea of the dynamics in this game and to what depth we can go to better manage this important part of the fielding team’s ability.

Coach B.

A couple other variations of this are putting several dime sized dots along the baseball and coloring the seams black.

It makes it easy to see the spin on the ball that you’re throwing or in my case the lack of spin.

Do you have a picture for how the ball should look like for a 4 seam and 2 seam fastball?