Collin 9 Year-old Pitching Analysis

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some feedback on my 9 year-old lefty. He gets a lot of compliments on his form but I have a little experience so I want to ensure we’re going down the right path.

We’ve done two, 1-hour clinics with the varsity coach the last two falls. Honestly, he has picked it up naturally.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Hey Nate,

I see a lot of nice things going on here in the delivery. Of course it is a little difficult to to analyze any pitcher in slo motion so if you can, please load a video at regular speed. What I do see is:

1. Nice balance with his head over his bellybutton throughout the delivery.
  2. Good hand break action
  3. Pitching hand stays on top of the ball
  4. Good job with his lead leg
  5. Stays within his driveline
  6. Moves his body sideways staying closed as long as possible
  7. Upon landing his throwing elbow is at shoulder height give a few degrees
  8. Nice stability with landing leg
  9. Braces his front leg and hip well upon landing
  10. Shows some hip/shoulder separation at landing
  11. Nice finish

Very impressive! I would suggest to continue learning proper mechanics through proper throwing drills. He is only 9 so don’t over do it. You can actually have some fun with him teaching him throwing drills. Throwing drills help develop proper throwing techniques. Throwing drills differ from pitching drills. Throwing drills can be done daily because you can do shadow drills without throwing a ball. Some throwing drills I would suggest for your son would include early momentum drills and glove side drills.

Steve C

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and drill ideas. I worry sometimes about how much he wants to practice pitching. I want to make sure he’s not burning his arm and himself out.

Here’s the full speed version of the above video.

Thanks.

I totally agree with you. Keep it fun for him and let him enjoy other sports as well.

Hi,

It’s not very often that I really break down a 9 or 10 year old mechanics. After reading my above post and reading an article from a person I really respect in the industry, I realized I probably made the above way too complicated for any youth pitcher to understand. So while I am all about teaching correct movement patterns and advanced training along with maximizing mechanical efficiencies with the older pitchers, my approach with very young pitchers will be different. When teaching pitchers this young, be sure to teach them a good foundation and to keep it positive and fun.

So here are some tips for teaching pitching movements to youth baseball pitchers.

1. Always, always, always be patient with them. Pitching can be totally overwhelming for our young ones out there.We sometimes as coaches and parents have so much information we want to relay to them, that they certainly wont understand and they walk away totally confused. So for our youth pitchers, start small. It will be so much more beneficial for them if you focus on one specific aspect of his/her delivery or movement and work on that movement until he/she gets it.

2. Keep your throwing drills fun and simple to understand. So what would be a good guideline to follow? Instead of me breaking down mechanics like I did above which is way too complicated for a young pitcher to understand, below I am listing some basic throwing drills that will help teach good mechanics (movements) for young pitchers. So if I may paraphrase: Work on each drill until they have nailed it.
    A. Throwing drills to help them get the arms in sync and working together.
    B. Throwing drills to help the youth pitcher create early momentum and get his body moving towards the catcher.
    C. Throwing drills to help them stay within their driveline.
    D. Throwing drills to help them with their glove side.

There is really no need to make it anymore complicated than this. Moving forward, instead of really over complicating the many movements in the pitching delivery for the very young, I will help advise parents on the throwing drills above : )

Steve C

1 Like