College Sophomore Mechanics Please Help

So I’ve posted to this site before, and the advice that I was given was very helpful, so I decided to upload a new video with my progress. This is video from a bullpen I threw the other day. My elicits is still down between 80-84 and I need to get that up. I have a feeling the lack of power is in the legs or hips but I’m not sure so that’s why I’m posting.
Also, I’ve had comments from friends mentioning that it looks like my arm action is slow, and I would agree that at times it almost looks like I’m throwing under water. Any comments/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Two areas that I noticed where you can quickly pick up velocity is in your leg drive, or lack of it, and in the abdominal area. Feel as if you are sitting on your right leg while flexing it, and explode toward the plate leading with your left hip. Land with the left leg bent and firm, while lengthening out your stride. (Be careful not to drift towards home.) With the abdominals quickly get your chest over your landing leg.
These are done in a sequence, so work on timing as well.

The primary source of velocity is upper body rotation i.e. rotation of the shoulders pulling the arm around.

Arm speed is a result of momentum being transferred from the rotation of the upper body into the arm.

In our to get maximum upper body rotation velocity there must be separation between upper body and hips. This creates an onset displacement which then allows very rapid rotation of the upper body. You have virtually no separation between upper body and hips.

Your overall tempo is very slow meaning that you take far too much time to execute your delivery.

Throwing hard is not necessarily about strength it’s about overall body quickness.

The bottom line is you are getting very little out of your body and your velocities coming simply because you’re catapulting forward and relying almost exclusively on arm strength to throw the baseball. I.e. nothing is happening until the very last part of your delivery.

I agree with CoachXJ and I would add…

(1) Possible cause of the lack of separation is the front arm being too short/quick to do its thing. Extend it out front to an “equal and opposite” position as close to front foot plant as possible will delay shoulder rotation longer to give the hips more time to rotate before the shoulder rotate.
(2) If it feels like you’ve having to hold the glove out front an artificially long amount of time, get yourself moving forward sooner and/or faster to get to foot plant quicker.
(3) One of the reasons you’re slow to the plate is you go back before going forward. (Gives baserunners a jump if they know to look for that weight shift.) Set up with your feet closer together so you can only go forward as you lift your front knee.

Thanks for the feedback, later this week I will LCD throwing another bullpen and I will take more video and post it on this thread. I have already worked to lengthen my stride.

Also, in regard to the equal and opposite position:
I have been taught a good equal and opposite position is when my throwing arm is back and up, ball pointing towards the shortstop and my glove side is elbow up, with my forearm pointed towards third as if I was reading a watch. You had mentioned that I should extend the forearm, is there a particular reason why this is ether than “reading the watch” once I made this adjustment to read the watch my control improved a bit, an it helped clean my mechanics because of how simple the motion is.

Again, thank you for the feedback, I will post an updated video as soon as I throw another pen.

Many moons ago I learned about “The Secret”.
I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the Yankees’ Big Three rotation—and I saw what they were doing and how they were doing it. They would drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion, creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the shoulders into the arm and the hand. They were generating the power behind their pitches and in doing so taking a lot of pressure off those extremities so they could throw harder and faster with less effort—even Eddie Lopat, who was not a fireballer.
I watched them, I saw exactly how they were doing it, and I made a note of it and started working on this on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics—and believe me, this is indeed an essential element—I found that I was doing exactly the same thing they were doing! I wasn’t a fireballer either, but I could feel that I too was throwing harder and faster, and because I was an honest-to-gosh sidearmer my delivery had more snap and sizzle to it. Not to mention the crossfire I had picked up; it gave me twice as many pitches as I already had. And later on, at age 16, I learned how to throw a good slider, courtesy of said Eddie Lopat who had a good one—and I ended up working with him for almost four years; what I learned from him was priceless.
One thing you would do well with is the “Hershiser drill”, which aims at getting the hips fully involved and thus speeding up your lower body action, which in turn will increase the overall speed of your delivery and follow-through. This drill needs no special equipment, just a fence or a wall, and it will do wonders for you. :baseballpitcher:

Here’s the latest video… Worked mostly on increasing my stride length, not lading on a stiff leg, and getting to that equal and opposite position.

[/youtube]

A key part of my comment about equal and opposite is “as close to front foot plant as possible”. In other words, it’s a timing issue. It’s not enough to get to the right position if you get there and leave early.

Extending the front arm more is just a tactic - it takes more time which might let you be equal and opposite later thereby delaying shoulder rotation allowing more time for hip rotation resulting in better separation.

If you’ve been taught to be equal and opposite at the high-cocked position, that’s mostly good but you really need to consider how you get to those positions. If the front arm takes a shorter path than the throwing arm, it may still be too quick and make you have a tendency to have early shoulder rotation. To be honest, this is somewhat difficult to assess without high-speed video. I thought it looked like you might have some room to extend a little more and delay shoulder rotation a little more.

You’re opening way too early…and your back arm is out of position on foot strike. I think your arms out of position to compensate for opening early…the guy that mentioned something about hip shoulder separation is correct. You don’t have it, and are using your length and arm to compensate. Break hands on a plane outside of a right hand batter, keep shoulder closed until foot strike, and get back arm to 90 degree angle at foot strike…dont lift your hand up so high behind your head.

Thanks everyone for the responses, hopefully I can get another video posted here before my summer season ends. I have been working this week on keeping my front side closed longer until foot strike.
Anither adjustment my coach had been working with me on is getting my arm slot lower, typically I’m a 3/4 guy and that’s not where I’ve been recently, this should probably solve the problem of my hand getting up too far behind my head.
My next question is, the last several coaches I’ve had have made some adjustments, and the last thing they all tell me is to throw the ball like I have a pair. Obviously when I throw I don’t try to throw soft… I was wondering if I am interpreting this wrong? or if someone could explain to me further, I get he’s calling me a fairy and saying to throw it harder but like I said who tries to throw softly?? Is this good advice? Thanks