College scouts look for what?

Hey everyone i was just wondering what most college scouts look for in prospects. If a college scout is watching a pitcher at a showcase tournament what exactly are they looking for? Post your opinions here and if any college coaches here want to give their input, then great!!

Judging from patterns, your fb has to be near or at 90mph…or have very very good off-speed pitches. But I’d say fastball velocity is one of the biggest factors. Also, hitting your spots is kind of a given, I’d assume :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s not necessarily true. Division I schools obviously look for guys that throw hard, but not every kid can play at the Division I level. A lot of kids that can’t break 80 are still successful at the Division III level. You’re not going to get a scholarship at a Division III school, but you can still get a very good education.

It’s really a combination of things: velocity, solid mechanics, good command, decent size, and potential.

There’s no way to sit here and say you must throw a certain speed or have certain offspeed pitches.

This is posted on the Wisconsin All Stars scout team website…

What are D1 NCAA baseball recruiters looking for in a recruit? At the 2005 Midwest Ohio Valley Underclass Showcase held at Wright State University in Dayton Ohio MMSA President Mike Buelow asked a college recruiter what are you looking for in a possible baseball recruit? Obviously he said grades. "Without a high GPA and high scores on ACT and SAT tests I will not even bother looking at a kid no matter how much baseball talent he has. He is just wasting my time. If he does have good grades and test scores I will then look at his baseballs skills. To play at the D1 level we need a kid to run a 7.0- 7.2 in the 60 yard dash. He did say he would sacrifice speed “for a kid that can hit the snot out of a baseball”. If you are a catcher he is looking for 2.0 seconds for a catchers pop time. For a pitcher he said “ideally he should throw mid 80’s or higher, be able to locate his fast ball and have a decent change up. We can work with him to show him how to throw a curve ball or a slider”. For an outfielder or an infielder “he should hit 85 mph plus on a gun when throwing from the outfield or from the infield”. So, do you have what it takes to be a D1 college baseball player?

http://www.metromilwaukeesports.com/index.php?location=Wisconsin%20All%20Stars&sport=AllStars

i don’t think college coaches look for fastballs around 90 mph although i think it’s a nice bonus. the fact is that throwing 90+ is really hard and I’d bet that the majority of DI pitchers throw less than 90 (save for ones at the top baseball schools in the country).

[quote=“6 pack”]To play at the D1 level we need a kid to run a 7.0- 7.2 in the 60 yard dash. For an outfielder or an infielder “he should hit 85 mph plus on a gun when throwing from the outfield or from the infield”.
[/quote]

Definitely fact, a friend of mine is actually getting looks from right state, I believe he is at 6.9 60 85mph from the outfield…

Speed kills but I don’t know that all guys need to be faster than 7.2. I believe John Cohen (Kentucky’s coach) stated the average SEC 60 yard dash (which is definitely better than most of the country) is 7.3 seconds.
Outfield 7.2 or better definitely unless they are in the lineup purely for their bat.

“i don’t think college coaches look for fastballs around 90 mph although i think it’s a nice bonus. the fact is that throwing 90+ is really hard and I’d bet that the majority of DI pitchers throw less than 90 (save for ones at the top baseball schools in the country).”

At the University of North Florida the avg. velo is mid-eighties, don’t think that they don’t look for velocity, they do, 90’s just really aren’t that common, they also look for many of the following things; Grades…forget D-1 if you don’t have great grades, core scores and your SAT/ACT(Waivers are available…but you better be top 10% in the country or better). Health/Projectability…if you are maxed out at 5’6" and 120lbs you may not get much of a look without some one of a kind skills. Work ethic…which can be displayed by exraordinary grades, additional college level class work (Honors classes) and community service. Performance, you may be on a team that stinks in your district, but how did you perform when you got the ball (Scouts know…believe it). Endorsement/recommendations, having someone like a coach back you is a major thing, don’t over look it…I’m not saying be a suckup, be a person with integrity and values, someone who is easy to get behind.
Be coachable…college coaches will not deal with an attitude or a know-it-all.
Step back and look at what i just wrote, quite a lot has little to do with baseball…a whole bunch has to do with being a quality person…they want success, because feeding their families depends on the choices they make. If you approach it that way your road will be just a tad bit smoother. :smiley:

Here’s the deal.

I was just at a showcase where they had over 60 college coaches and professional scouts. I am familiar with a few of the scouts at this showcase and browsed over their notes. To a tee, this is what they looked for in a pitcher.

Categories were,

-height and weight
-an opinion rating of a breaking pitch (20-80) scale
-does the pitcher have a developing change?
-mechanics (usually wrote down flaws)
-Lastly, one that nobody has mentioned on here yet GPA! Honest to goodness, there were several comments about this category. Go to class, and work hard in school!

“Grades…forget D-1 if you don’t have great grades, core scores and your SAT/ACT(Waivers are available…but you better be top 10% in the country or better)”

Lastly, one that nobody has mentioned on here yet GPA!

I’m thinking that you stand corrected…

Nice notes though…

Sorry man, I didn’t get to your post. Your exactly right about grades.

If a player can’t even work hard in the classroom how is he going to work in the gym or on the feild? Is he going to fold when adversity hits? These are questions scouts and coaches are forced to ask themselves when a player has poor grades.

It’s all good! :wink: