College pitcher w mild shoulder pain, questions and concerns

I’m a freshman RHP in college this year and have been dealing with shoulder pain in just about every part of shoulder when I pitch or even throwing a pen. I have been having mild to slightly intense pain for quite a while now and I am looking for advice on trying to prevent it.

most of the time i feel it near the back end above my armpit on the back of my arm/shoulder. Currently I feel it deep in the front of my shoulder and feels like it may be near my labrum or just rotator cuff or even a pectoral. But its a deep muscle pain in the middle front of my shoulder. Today is Wednesday and I threw a 40 pitch bp which probably should’ve not gone past 20 on monday. Then throwing yesterday, tuesday, we stretched out to a little past 120 feet and I could barely get the ball to my partner and had a lot of pain. we had an early lift that morning that was heavy on the arms so that may be contributing to that, but does anyone have any tips on therapy or things I could do to help reduce pain?

Idk if this matters but i’m 6’3 195lbs and throw 2seam, 4seam, circle chng, and a cb. I typically have pain throwing the 2 seam if I try to throw it harder or accidentally kind of lag on my release and almost push the ball which casue my arm to fly forward and pull on my shoulder.

dstroud,

"I’m a freshman RHP in college this year and have been dealing with shoulder pain in just about every part of shoulder when I pitch or even throwing a pen.”

Are you aware of Dr. Mike Marshall who describes how shoulder pathologies occur and how to mitigate further damage thru mechanical understanding.

“ I am looking for advice on trying to prevent it.”

To prevent it you must keep the “head of your Humerus centered in it’s Glenoid cavity at all times during the set up delivery and recovery of your body!"

You currently separate the longitudinal axis of your Humerus from the Shoulder line (acromial line) by hyper horizontally abducting the shoulder (Humerus). This action slightly dislocates the head of the Humerus away from it’s Fossa when you take it back also causing the no nerve ligaments to stretch.

Now because the Forearm and Humerus are not ready to throw yet they must go through a violent transition to outwards rotational full length. this actions has the head of the Humerus start to travel forwards across the labrum/Fossa to the front where it finds end by the opposite no nerve Ligaments stretching them and eventually causing laxity then peripheral Labrum pathologies, front and back!

Isn’t “Scapular loading” wonderful?

Mitigation comes when the athlete voluntarily keep his Humerus centered in the shoulder.

This is done with an effort to slowly outwardly rotate your Humerus and forearm to arrive at almost full rotational length where your thumb is pointing up and your hand is under the ball sync up to your glove side foot plant all while keeping the Humerus in line with the acromial line.

Now when you lift your Elbow to get your final outwards rotation length your Humerus stays centered, especially if you have also learned all forearm pronated pitch types.

“most of the time i feel it near the back end above my armpit on the back of my arm/shoulder.”

Sounds like a labrum problem? You need to know. who ever is allowing you to lift with a shoulder injury, should be ashamed. Go see a Dr. who can pin point your problem!

“Currently I feel it deep in the front of my shoulder and feels like it may be near my labrum or just rotator cuff or even a pectoral.”

Good guess, your Biceps attaches at the perimeter of the Labrum.

“But its a deep muscle pain in the middle front of my shoulder.”

Labrum is sharp pain, maybe it is not hopefully.

“we had an early lift that morning that was heavy on the arms so that may be contributing to that”

The weight room does not help overhead throwers, especially injured ones.

“does anyone have any tips on therapy or things I could do to help reduce pain?”

let a Dr. take care of that!

“ throw 2seam, 4seam, circle chng, and a cb.”

2s fastball is forearm supinated, the 4s fastball is Forearm supinated, the circle chg is Forearm pronated and the Cb is Forearm supinated, that’s 3 out of 4 pitch types you violently crash your Elbow together just before releases. This needs to change to all Forearm pronated pitch types.

Have you tried using a BFST to help with your shoulder? BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy) can help a lot if you have a soft tissue injury such as a torn tendon or ligament or a pulled muscle. A BFST can deliver extra blood flow to the injury which helps with cell growth and healing of the injury. I have attached a link if you would like more information.
https://www.kingbrand.com/BFST-Home.php

What do you do for arm care as that may have a contribution to the problem. I would say to take some time off throwing and work on strengthening the shoulder using light Dumbell work and band work too. Plus, maybe chance your mechanics to see if your more upper half dominant than lower half. Finally, the two seamer the way you described it seems like you may be trying to over throw it or gripping to hard which can cause some issues. If I may ask, how do you throw your two seam and what are you thinking when you throw it? I had shoulder pain too in the past when I pitched though it has been almost gone after I started to take it back a bit and work on my shoulder and mechanics.