College LHP Pitching Analysis

I’ve been working on some things to make my mechanics as strong as possible going into my tryouts in the next few months. Any advice, drills, feedback is appreciated very much =))

You get your glove arm to its opposite & equal position and then turn the glove over before front foot plant which I think is leading to shoulder rotation happening a tiny bit early. If you can stay opposite & equal until foot plant and then turn the glove over, I think you’ll delay shoulder rotation longer which will give you better hip and shoulder separation and hopefully another 1 or 2 mph. Instead of trying to arbitrarily hold your glove arm opposite & equal, which may feel artificial, try raising your glove to a higher opposite and equal position which will take more time thereby delaying the turning over of the glove. (Your throwing arm takes a lower path so the glove arm taking a higher path will still be opposite & equal.)

Ya I realized I naturally have that equal opposite arm slot. Gonna switch to up and out with the glove now as it probably will give me some extra jazz. Thanks Roger

Give your pivot foot a better platform. Look closely at the downward plane that your pivot is resting on

Your pivot foot starts the balance process that all other actions pickup on - or not. By starting off with a solid platform, without the incline leaning your balance a bit forward, you just might find a better composition of everything else.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/cleats_zpstivdwvl4.jpg
This is how your pivot foot is starting you off. Not good.

Ya it’s a public field I’m practicing on right now. They don’t take very good care of it, but I’m working on fixing it up. I realized when I was throwing it would be much nice to have a even balance instead of dodging craters. Thanks Coach Baker.

Looks good. A couple of things:

1. Your body already starts to drift forward toward the target during your leg lift up instead of AFTER maximum knee height. I’d widen your feet in the set position - get your feet shoulder width apart and stay firm as you lift up your leg so you’re not drifting forward.

2. When you release the baseball, your head is still behind your stride foot knee instead of directly over it (or even in front of it, for high velocity pitchers). This is an indication that you’re not getting your body down the mound fast enough. Drifting, as mentioned previously, is part of the problem. But your stride itself should be quicker and longer. Think of the stride like a skater lunge to the side - it needs to be powerful and quick.

Thanks Steven_Ellis got a lot from this post that makes sense, just turning it all into muscle memory now.